Dawn Redwood, force branch development?

Horophyle

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Hi all,

I have a Dawn Redwood forest with 6 trees, the tallest being about 20 inches above the soil. 5 of the six trees are very healthy and growing like mad. But one is devoid of any branches and by default any foliage. The bark is in great shape and the tree appears to be doing okay. Is there any way to force bud/branch development in this one tree without negatively affecting the other 5 trees in close proximity?

I purchased this forest about a year ago and this one tree has never had any foliage or branches but somehow seems to keep chugging along. Just hoping I can promote some good growth to get it caught up with the others in the group...or maybe it's time for some deadwood in the forest?

Thanks all!

Keaton

Horophyle

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Can't say I have, but after a quick google search seems very interesting. More reading to do....

Mash

Yamadori
Reaction score
Keaton

Do you have a picture? I find most Dawn Redwood stuff I see for sale online is very young material. A 2 1/2 year old tree grown from clipping will stand 6 feet tall and be approaching 1 inch at the base. Most stuff I see online is this age or younger cut back. These trees back bud all the time with light on there own. You will probably have to thin the outer trees. You are also going to have a fight to keep them balanced and in check. Mine grow several feet in a years. I root trim and re-pot every year .

Horophyle

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I can take a picture tonight. It was purchased here in Oregon from a reputable seller. No doubt they are kind of on the young side. I have been keeping the other trees trimmed to make sure there is no competition for light, it receives a ton of daytime sun. Maybe just keep on doing what i'm doing and hope for the best....

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Best way to stimulate new budding is hard pruning into older wood. Chop the top two inches off the trunk, wait a month, see what happens...

Top Bottom