dawn redwood help

dragonlee

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hello everyone. I'm fairly new to bonsai, only 2 years experience, and I've been reading this forum for awhile now. Figured I'd say hello and ask for some advice.
I just received this dawn redwood. It is double trunked and I'm not sure what to do with it. I searched and have not found any pics of other double trunked dawns.
I live in Pennsylvania. Zone 5b.
Any help would be appreciated. Thank you and I hope to gain much knowledge and help if I can here.

20130517_123443.jpg

Last edited:

dragonlee

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here is a little closer view. I would like suggestions on which side I should eliminate. I am thinking the left side because it doesn't taper as nicely as the right side. But I'm not sure if that's a good idea. Its just starting to show buds now.
Somebody please help me turn this into a beautiful tree.

20130517_150848-1.jpg

Closer view of slingshot
20130517_123443-1.jpg

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hello dragonlee. This can be a nice bonsai someday, however, you will need to be patient. If you are willing to work with this tree for the next 6-7 years, you may have something. Once the tree has started to bud, it is getting a little late to repot. In my opinion, this tree could go into a grow pot, maybe not this year, with good soil and lots of room and good drainage. I suggest a grow pot and not the ground in this particular case so you can control the trees growth and environment.

Can you give us more details? How long has it been in the ground where it is?

Rob

dragonlee

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks rob. I received it 2 days ago, bareroot, and put it into ground that day. Wasn't sure if it could go into a pot yet. I have nothing but time. Lol. Most important to me right now is health of the tree.
Secondly, I would like to know if I should cut either side off. Of course not right now. Just looking into the future. Ie...I don't want to wait too long to cut or cut too soon.
-pete

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thanks rob. I received it 2 days ago, bareroot, and put it into ground that day. Wasn't sure if it could go into a pot yet. I have nothing but time. Lol. Most important to me right now is health of the tree.
Secondly, I would like to know if I should cut either side off. Of course not right now. Just looking into the future. Ie...I don't want to wait too long to cut or cut too soon.
-pete

I would let it grow freely this year. Maybe next year, you can remove one of the trunks. If it does well, I would get it in a grow pot in a couple of years.

Rob

dragonlee

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So you would do a cut next year, let it recover for the season, then put in grow pot the following year?
I also noticed that the whole root system was growing to only one side. They are about 14" long, appeared to be healthy, but growing just one way. Is that a problem?

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I don't think that we can make any concrete plans for the tree yet. I would see how it does after this winter. If the tree survives and does well. Maybe a plan can be formulated. For now, you should concentrate keeping it alive the next year. Then, maybe think about cutting off one of those trunks. There is a lot of waiting in bonsai. Sometimes, it is 2-3 years before you can even work on a tree for one reason or another.

I would consider getting some other trees. Trees that you can work on, practice on etc... :D

Rob

dragonlee

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just a quick update. Its been 17 days since I planted in ground and I already have a bunch of sprouts. Is this a good sign that the tree has took to its temporary home? My only focus on this tree is keeping it alive for now.

20130531_130622.jpg

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Just a quick update. Its been 17 days since I planted in ground and I already have a bunch of sprouts. Is this a good sign that the tree has took to its temporary home? My only focus on this tree is keeping it alive for now.

20130531_130622.jpg

Growth when you are supposed to get it is always a good sign. This tree is very young and the way your double trunk is configured most likely useless as is. One or the other needs to be removed. My suggestion would be to air layer one of the trunks off giving yourself two potential trees, a couple of years of experience messing with trees and learning to deal with impossible projects. Either way you look at this tree it is at least five years before it will be old enough, having acquired some natural character, making it worthy of the efforts to make it into a bonsai.

Last edited:

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Did you get this off ebay?

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I asked because I got a similar sized group of dawn redwoods from an ebay seller. I put them in the ground to grow out and they have been doing ok.

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I think it's great that its in the ground where it should be. Like rob said, let it grow freely and decide on what to do next spring. I would leave it in for a few years as Vance has said for growth.

dragonlee

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think it's great that its in the ground where it should be. Like rob said, let it grow freely and decide on what to do next spring. I would leave it in for a few years as Vance has said for growth.

Thanks. That was my plan when I ordered it. I figured since it was going to be a little older and over 2 feet tall, I would plant in ground asap and let it be. When it came, I was taken to see it had the slingshot. But as Vance said, I will air layer. I'm going to leave it alone for this year. I figure its already had its yearly insult by being shipped and relocated. If it survives the winter, I will work on it a little in the spring. I'm just happy to see some life out of it right now. Hoping I have something nice to work with in a few years.
I appreciate all the comments so far.

Top Bottom