Dawn Redwood leaves getting brown & wilted

bendem

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hi folks -

I'm a bonsai newbie on my second year growing out a pre-bonsai dawn redwood. A couple days ago, I noticed it has several leaves that have turned brown and wilted, which are scattered across the tree. We had a couple prematurely hot days over the weekend (almost 90*), but I gave the tree extra water.

Also, I noticed the tree has some spiders and webs on it. If they're actual spiders (not spider mites), is that OK? Any guess what's causing the leaf issues?

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20220427_180121.jpg
    20220427_180121.jpg
    264.1 KB · Views: 47
  • 20220427_113219.jpg
    20220427_113219.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 46
  • 20220427_085341.jpg
    20220427_085341.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 42
  • 20220427_085357.jpg
    20220427_085357.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 36
  • 20220427_112843.jpg
    20220427_112843.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 48

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
The spiders do look like real spiders so no problem for the tree. Mites are really small so you need a magnifying glass to see them.

Leaf damage is most likely from dehydration.
'Extra' water is not really specific but the tree looks like it is in a big tub so should be good to hold enough water.
When watering you need to apply enough to soak right through the soil. Dry soil does not wet easily so a single quick watering may not actually water the roots properly. Try watering then wait a few minutes and water again. Second application soaks in much better than the initial.
Do you know how long it has been in that pot? It looks like it should be OK but after a few years in a pot the masses of roots can also stop the pot holding enough water. Sometimes I've had to resort to sitting dawn redwood pots in a tray of water through summer. They are thirsty but, like Bald cypress don't seem to mind staying a bit wetter so I tend to keep mine on the wet side rather than too dry. Mine also get shade. I have not tried them in full sun so not sure if shade is better or not but they seem happy enough.

bendem

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The spiders do look like real spiders so no problem for the tree. Mites are really small so you need a magnifying glass to see them.

Leaf damage is most likely from dehydration.
'Extra' water is not really specific but the tree looks like it is in a big tub so should be good to hold enough water.
When watering you need to apply enough to soak right through the soil. Dry soil does not wet easily so a single quick watering may not actually water the roots properly. Try watering then wait a few minutes and water again. Second application soaks in much better than the initial.
Do you know how long it has been in that pot? It looks like it should be OK but after a few years in a pot the masses of roots can also stop the pot holding enough water. Sometimes I've had to resort to sitting dawn redwood pots in a tray of water through summer. They are thirsty but, like Bald cypress don't seem to mind staying a bit wetter so I tend to keep mine on the wet side rather than too dry. Mine also get shade. I have not tried them in full sun so not sure if shade is better or not but they seem happy enough.
Hi Shibui - Thanks much for the feedback. When watering recently, I've been giving it around 30 seconds of water from a hose wand and then repeating it a couple minutes later. Based on your suggestion, I've put a.tray underneath the bucket and am hoping that addresses the issue. Thanks again!

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In my experience, dawn redwood can take a flood. Not as well as a bald cypress...but when it is hot in the summer I'll let mine sit in a couple inches of standing water for a few days at a time. I wouldn't worry too much about over watering them unless they are in mud.

Top Bottom