Dawn Redwood Lighting

ResQmedic

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I recently placed my DR outside when it started budding (Pennsylvania). It has been in the 70's the past week already with a few good rains in. I noticed the leaves on the top have been browning and curling up. Is this too much light/heat?

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Metasequoia glyptostroboides, the dawn redwood can tolerate a colder Zone 5 easily. The first thing that comes to mind with me is water - they love it but not soaked. Is it a new tree? In free draining substrate? Need to know a bit more and a picture would help a lot as well.

Grimmy

ResQmedic

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Got last summer, its free draining.

Attachments

• DR1.jpg
    DR1.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 43
  • DR2.jpg
    DR2.jpg
    284.7 KB · Views: 42

jedge76

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Are you getting any frosty nights? Could be a bit of frost burn given the location. Doesn't look like it'll present too much of a problem for you going forward though.

Mash

Yamadori
Reaction score
I would suspect water as well. I live in VA and keep mine outside year around. Mine get water 2 times a day on an automatic system. If you let them get dry they suffer. If you noticed the tree wilted one day its defiantly a water problem. For soil I use a combo potting soil or compost mixed with turface, akadama and pumice. It drains but has enough material to keep the plant wet at all times. As for sun they like partial shade. Mine this time of year get allot of sun no leaves on my big trees in the yard. The leaves will change color from a solid green to more reddish brownish if they are getting to much sun. More noticeable if you turn the plant from the shady side to the sunny side.

Top Bottom