Dawn Redwood material - opine at will!

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Impressive video....you’re a natural.
The Dawn Redwood tree is coming along really well.....mighty fine job you done and are continuing to do.

Ahhhhh...Albuquerque. Been through the Turquoise Trail (State Road 14) running between Santa Fe and Albuquerque a few times. It was like stepping back in time....way back...like the hippie movement was still alive and kicking along in several smaller towns...blink and you miss them towns. Really nice people. Some great small towns with excellent iced coffee, apple pie and bean burritos. Yeah....I know that sounds like a weird combination. I think ”The Wild Hogs” movie was filmed over that trail.....Madrid I think.

Keep posting on the Redwood. Looking forward to continued progress.

Last edited:

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Looks great. Love chunky dawn redwood like that. I have a few, my favorite has a great base but is 7’ tall.

I repotted and set up the nebari this year and plan on layering 2-3 trees off it.

GreatLakesBrad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Looks great. Love chunky dawn redwood like that. I have a few, my favorite has a great base but is 7’ tall.

I repotted and set up the nebari this year and plan on layering 2-3 trees off it.
Separated my first dawn layer last week with “meh” amount of roots - any advice/tips on layering these beauties? Timing etc?

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Separated my first dawn layer last week with “meh” amount of roots - any advice/tips on layering these beauties? Timing etc?

From what ive been told (and read) having a lot of foliage above helps as well as letting a rooting gel sit on the girdle over night before applying medium.

I personally have much better success with bonsai soil/pure akadama (or a pre mix like Aoki mix) than spagnhum as a layering medium (with other species though) and containers like single use tupperware/nursery pots.

I will be cutting girdle after first flush and not pruning anything above/below cut

Grovic

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I use Bonsai Jack conifer soil - mostly from Amazon. Look up bonsai jack - I buy the large bags to save $$. They have a ‘regular’ mix that I use for deciduous and the conifer mix.
Thanks, I'll look for it.

GreatLakesBrad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Good growth on the Dawn again this year. Much work still to be done:

- large root died back - this was clearly due to the vendor I purchased from extracting from the ground, and it took two years for me to notice. It’s an issue for the nebari flare on the left hand side - I am attempting to encourage the callus to roll over this area over time. Re-wounded the live tissue around this dead area in hopes of encouraging callus rollover. I’ll keep it sealed as well as I can and if decay sets in, I may use epoxy to provide a firm surface for rollover. I think the swelling will provide improved flare over time if I can succeed. If it fails, I can always expand the Shari all the way down the trunk but would prefer not to.
- root base is still a ‘telephone pole’ at soil level - I have plenty of 1-year seedlings and will attempt root grafting at repot next spring to enhance nebari.
- Grafts both appear to have taken this year. Key branch on left hand side of note, much needed for design.
- Apex: graft took, also have buds available nearby. I will likely make a significant trunk reduction in spring for the apex to move off to the left to finish.

still love where this tree could go.
3CFBEE0C-DAE4-4E8A-82D7-D487ED5E836B.jpeg138168F6-3E3C-4AD7-8E94-6E6D08AC3183.jpeg

Top Bottom