Dawn Redwood Repot - May 2021

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Omg, -25°C!
How do you manage that cold with your bonsai?
Heated greenhouse, indoor?

What a pity losing that tree when you moved.😔

I wish I cold live a little bit inland from Barcelona, where winters are cold as -15°C sometimes...not as cold as near high mountain, but cold enough to have regular snow ❄️

That was a rare event! We were actually out of town visiting grandkids...but it wasn't much warmer where they were! I did see the forecast before we left and mover most things into the garage for the week.

Most people in these climes will "heel in" their natives for the winter. Common thinking is a pot drops 2 zones of winter protection. But heeled into the ground means ground warmth is close to what natives would normally experience anyway...so better to leave them outside.

I don't heel in my natives here...no place for it :( Plus, a sizeable portion of my stuff is out-of-zone and needs protection anyway. My sequoia survive my winters ok, but the coast redwoods wouldn't. Plus I have things like rainbow eucalyptus and cork oak and even baobabs. Those all need winter housing. Probably 2/3 of my collection gets winter housing while the last 1/3 lives outside year round except for "special" occasions ;)

You'll get the advice to "grow native" a lot. It does make life easier :D

You mentioned you were "new to bonsai"...is this your only tree so far? Do you grow anything else? Houseplants? Gardening? Landscaping?

Jan JC

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
You'll get the advice to "grow native" a lot. It does make life easier :D

True, it's always way better to have native plants rather than exotic ones...but they are as beautiful that I can't stand not having them!

Most people in these climes will "heel in" their natives for the winter. Common thinking is a pot drops 2 zones of winter protection. But heeled into the ground means ground warmth is close to what natives would normally experience anyway...so better to leave them outside.
Wow, sounds strange to bury a bonsai pot inside the ground , but if cold is a big problem....this may be a good solution

You mentioned you were "new to bonsai"...is this your only tree so far? Do you grow anything else? Houseplants? Gardening? Landscaping?
Yep, I'm new to bonsai (2 years aprox since I started), but I've been having several "garden plants", not bonsai, for a long time (ginkgo, maple, Bougainvillea, araucaria, lavandula, Castanea, liquidambar...)
I also have a Pinus halepensis bonsai, as well as an Ulmus parvifolia and a Cupressus macrocarpa 'goldcrest'.

Jan JC

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
This is how the metasequoia forest looks like after the re-repotting (or double repot) :
Luckily today sun is shining strongly! 🌞
IMG_20210503_083250.jpg
IMG_20210503_075328.jpg
IMG_20210503_075331.jpg
IMG_20210503_090455.jpg
⬆️That is the plan I followed more or less.
I hope I haven't destroyed my trees.😐

Top Bottom