Dawn Redwood soil, moss, and heat question. (pictures)

dalberti

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Hello everyone!

I wont lie when I say that I'm very new to the art of Bonsai. I've been an armchair enthusiast but finally made the decision to buy a Dawn Redwood. It is 7 years old and was purchased from brussel's Bonsai.

I was very happy with the appearance and knew right away that it needed some heavy trimming. There aren't many videos online and only basic answers on how to do this, but I think I've done it correctly (I didn't do a ton).

This brings me to my questions. After reading that it is susceptible to rot and the base should be tended with care (obviously!) and repotted most likely every year because the roots are fast growing, I am wondering how I should take care of the moss that is growing (and if it should be repotted - they did not tell me when it was last repotted, unfortunately. I'm guessing I need to do it soon.)

ALSO (haha), the summers here in Southern Utah are nearing 105-106 F, so I'm wondering how resilient they are to that kind of heat. I know I should keep it moist and never let it dry out, especially during the summer, so I will be keen on doing that! Enough questions? :)

Clearly I'm a noob, but I'm very willing to learn. ANY advice is golden! Thank you! Pictures below of the base of the tree:

Attachments

• IMG_1206.JPG
    IMG_1206.JPG
    288.8 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_1207.JPG
    IMG_1207.JPG
    243.7 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_1208.JPG
    IMG_1208.JPG
    240.7 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_1209.JPG
    IMG_1209.JPG
    303.6 KB · Views: 133

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks like you oughtta clean off the surface.

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

dalberti

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Sorce,

Thanks for the reply! Also, thanks for the welcome ;). I am prepared to clean off the surface - I imagine I should obviously clean up the side of the tree. I don't know what constitutes removal and what should stay at this point.

qwade

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Welcome to bnut! Would be nice to see the entire tree . Re potting at this time with your 100+ degree temps would be counter-productive. A Fall or early spring repotting is what I would do. Tree will not have no problem with the temps, but i would say that this tree would prefer higher humidity levels. Not sure of the Weather in S Utah. Important is a well draining soil. You can water frequently without worry of rot. Now you are at the mercy of the soil 'Brussels' provided you with until the fall @ the earliest. Just be diligent to check moisture levels of the soil. Insert Chop stick or dig your finger in soil to get a sense of the water content. Some even use weight of the pot. My rule of thumb--- let the soil just about dry out and water the day before. Best wishes with your tree!

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Welcome! Hope you're not keeping it indoors!

dalberti

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Thanks so much for the replies. Honestly, it's been a very warm welcome.

Also, the Bonsai is outside! I brought it in for trimming and pictures (it's dang hot out right now!)

I've noticed some wilting on some of the tips - not sure if it's from the temperature or because it needed water after being shipping.

The pictures as requested:

Thanks all!!

Attachments

• IMG_1210.JPG
    IMG_1210.JPG
    304.4 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_1211.JPG
    IMG_1211.JPG
    284.2 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_1212.JPG
    IMG_1212.JPG
    327.8 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_1213.JPG
    IMG_1213.JPG
    309 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_1214.JPG
    IMG_1214.JPG
    338.4 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_1215.JPG
    IMG_1215.JPG
    283.8 KB · Views: 123

dalberti

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I forgot to mention - there is no humidity where I live (unless it's raining, which is rare). It's considered a very dry heat.

qwade

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Although by no stretch of the imagination am I an expert on Metasequoia, I believe this tree would be much happier with higher levels of humidity. Was my original concern as I thought that S Utah was probably dry. Trays with rocks under the pot may help. Misting as much as possible may also help. Research humidity!

This Metasequoia I purchased from a Bnut member last year. Is doing well after a hefty 50% root reduction.I'm Looking to get a whip to graft something lower. Very nice tree you obtained. I am sure you are happy with it. Best wishes with your tree.
3r4ts75gKpYCVEWq4gF_50FdAezYKVbHzVLZNLSX-4ssSxTTJ

dalberti

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Qwade, thanks so much for your help. I will definitely research the humidity trays for this tree because it definitely seems like I'll need it! I will keep you updated on the progress. Love your Metasequoia!

dalberti

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Hello again,

I had a thought this morning. It's clearly very, VERY hot where I live with around zero percent humidity. I was thinking about using my LED Plant Grow Light and keeping the Redwood indoors for a while. Any concerns that would pop up by doing this? Constant temperature - easier to moderate the dryness of the tree because it wont dry out very quickly.

Here's the light I would be using.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GNWK2XO?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

Any information or opinions are welcome. The tree is still outside and I'm monitoring it very closely.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Hello again,

I had a thought this morning. It's clearly very, VERY hot where I live with around zero percent humidity. I was thinking about using my LED Plant Grow Light and keeping the Redwood indoors for a while. Any concerns that would pop up by doing this? Constant temperature - easier to moderate the dryness of the tree because it wont dry out very quickly.

Here's the light I would be using.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GNWK2XO?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

Any information or opinions are welcome. The tree is still outside and I'm monitoring it very closely.

I wouldn't try it. For starters, that's a very weak light. The tree would get very stressed out. Second, the Redwood would need dormancy during the winter. Even keeping it indoors over the summer would create more problems than solutions.

CamdenJim

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
I'm in Birmingham, Alabama, not all that far from Olive Branch, Mississippi, your tree's recent home. It's 3:15 PM: 44% humidity at 92 degrees Fahrenheit. And it's only June. My tree won't be as hot as yours will be in August, but they'll be close. Mine will just be in a sauna, while yours will be in a pizza oven.

My dawn redwood has been watered daily since it came out of dormancy, and last week, when the daily temps began to climb, I started watering twice daily. But I used a fresh batch of fast-draining soil when I repotted in March, so Saturday I dusted off the surface without disturbing roots, added some more water-retaining material (small akadama and a little pine bark), and put the mainly aggregate mix back on top of that.

I suggest you keep your tree outdoors, give it plenty of sun (but maybe under a light shade cloth at your elevation -- no doubt higher than mine), and use the chop-stick method to track your water saturation several times a day for a few days. My guess is it's in a pretty high water-retaining mix, and you'll be OK. If it appears too dry after it has adjusted to the change, either water twice a day or make some adjustments to the top layer of soil.

If the humidity tray doesn't do quite enough, so that you start seeing dry, browning foliage at the tips of branches, turn your hose on the tree in the AM and again a couple of times in the late afternoon. Go for a good drenching, not just a light 'misting.'

And enjoy the tree. I bet that bright green stands out even more there than it does down here.

dalberti

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Ryan,
Thanks for the information. I think I'm just being paranoid - I don't want to mess this up. hahaha!

CamdenJim,

That's REALLY good to know. I think my problem may be under-watering it. I went ahead and gave it a good amount of water this time around and will continue to monitor/mist the branches. They are slightly browning. I think I really need to get a grasp on how much water it needs and how to keep track of it.

Thanks once again everyone.

qwade

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Indoors is not advised. I have lights, without getting scientific, alot brighter than yours. Will not work. Outside is best. You have ample sunlight which is a plus. Put the tree in a pool if you must, but keep it outside. I'm sure you can figure a way to add humidity. Be creative.You are the master of that tree. May need shade cloth or something to hold in the moisture and keep out excessive heat. A Terrarium of some sort .The tree can handle heat but not dryness. Soil / pot does not like heat, should be cooler. Foliage can handle the heat but not the dryness. Figure all that out and you should be fine. Again good luck in your endeavour.

dalberti

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Qwade,

I appreciate the information and encouragement. I will definitely try my best!

dalberti

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Hello again everyone.

I have an update. Well, it's quite embarrassing to start.

Like I mentioned earlier in the thread, it's quite hot here. I knew the tree would be shocked when it came into my region, but I didn't know how terribly it would react (especially under a newbies care as well). I had it out in the scorching heat for about a week (monitoring the water, spraying during the hottest part of the day) but it wasn't enough. The tree could not keep up with the direct exposure and about 95 percent of the leaves began to die.

I kept doing my research and then bought a "shade cloth". I was excited to see if it would help because I've read about success stories regarding the dawn redwood and shade cloth's in this intense sun.

Well - it wasn't helping all that much at all and I pretty much had it listed as dead. I thought this would be a hard lesson for myself.

I kept watering it with no hope.

I then went to take off the rest of the dead leaves and then I discovered something so exciting - new growth! I was honestly blown away and so excited!

There are quite a few dead branches, and I took off all of the dead parts, but I am so glad that this tree is not dead. I am keeping it under the shade cloth and keeping a VERY close eye on it.

It's great news and I was way embarrassed about the tree initially (still am) but I am proud that it's surviving.

Attachments

• IMG_1334.JPG
    IMG_1334.JPG
    280.8 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_1337.JPG
    IMG_1337.JPG
    332.7 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_1338.JPG
    IMG_1338.JPG
    273.4 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_1340.JPG
    IMG_1340.JPG
    322.2 KB · Views: 74

qwade

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Well thats actually good news. Despite our best effort the tree will sometimes just do what it must. The defoliation was probably an adjustment period. New growth is encouraging. Continue to do as you have been while monitoring closely. Nothing to be ashamed about. We all have had problems along the Bonsai journey. Its all about learning. I know that feeling when the dead tree comes back to life.You seem to be on the right track now. Again, Ganbatte.

CamdenJim

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B

I have an update. ...
I then went to take off the rest of the dead leaves and then I discovered something so exciting - new growth! I was honestly blown away and so excited!

...I am proud that it's surviving.

Good news. And you'll now have growth generated for your climate. Hope you smile every time you look at it.

Jim

Top Bottom