Dawn Redwood Soil

Colorado Josh

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I recently purchased 5 dawn redwoods that are 2-3 years old. I plan on doing a forest planting with them. I typically don't repot anything this early in the year, but they were shipped to me in plastic plastic bags. The buds are starting to swell, so I figure I should give it a go. They have quite a bit of roots as well.

After searching on here and elsewhere, I have found conflicting information on soil type. Most people say that an organic heavy soil is the way to go. Others say akadama (or diatomaceous) fir bark and pumice. It even coco? My concern is that an organic mix won't drain as easily. They came shipped in what appears to be standard potting soil.

I have a few choices for pots. Some shallow some deeper. If I were to choose a shallow, I would probably make some muck to build up the soil mass. This is my first forest planting. From what I understand is that shallow pots are typically used in forests.

Anyways, what soil do you use? And does that soil change depending upon the pot choice?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Use whatever you can water well!

Soil and pot!

Sorce

Top Bottom