Dawn Redwood Trunk Chop

bobbywett

Mame
Reaction score
Hershey, PA Plant Zone 6b South Central PA
USDA Zone
6b
Hello Folks,

My dawn redwood is currently at 3" diameter and I would like to either trunk chop it or air layer it, but I've heard its really difficult to air layer them. Is this true? When is the best time of year to trunk chop a dawn redwood?

Thanks,

For any help,

Bobby

DR1.jpgDR2.jpgDR3.jpg

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
heavy

they root from decent sized cuttings i found out. kept in shade, always moist
so id suggest cutting it and then propping a bunch of cuttings

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I tried air layering one and it bridged the gap, twice, on the same attempt. The second time I cut the callous back and widened the girdle and it still bridged, so maybe at least try drying out the girdle over a couple days or put in a wire or disc barrier before enclosing in moss.

andrewiles

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've air layered them without trouble. The one in the photo below was started in early June and separated in early August, though you could start earlier. I used CloneX and Sphagnum moss. It would be a waste to chop the top and not get another tree out of it imho.

PXL_20210609_011711644 (1).jpgPXL_20210814_232520075 (1).jpg

Hardwood cuttings also root easily. You can take them in late winter. Just place in plain potting soil after applying CloneX. You must keep them in shade or dappled sun until they show a second flush of growth, typically in mid-summer. First flush doesn't mean roots yet. Here are some of mine:
PXL_20210729_170656203 (1).jpg

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Three inches good why not go for impressive 5"☺️?

Top Bottom