Dawn Redwood vs Coastal Redwood pruning timing

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've recently received some instruction about the timing of pruning for coastal redwoods. I was getting alot of die back from pruning during pauses in the tree's growth. Turns out, coastal redwoods respond best to pruning during their active growth cycles (spring and fall) and respond pretty horribly to pruning at other times.

I'm just curious if this is also true for dawn redwoods and or giant redwoods (Metasequoia vs Sequoia)? Does anyone have any observations about that?

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Completely different trees. They may share the Redwood name, but Dawn Redwood is deciduous so you have to follow those guidelines. Can't say for Sequoias as they're evergreen, but Dawn Redwoods are a whole different breed.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes deciduous conifer vs evergreen conifer, but they are related - same subfamily I think - which is why I asked about others' experiences.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Yes, the two genera are quite closely related. They grow fairly similar. The pattern for both fits what Ryan Neil calls elongating species. Watch the free videoys on the Bonsai Mirai website. (not the ones on You Tube, they are older and may not articulate the concepts as well). The example species Ryan uses are Spruce, Picea. Pay attention to the growth stage he notes for what to do when with the spruce, then adapt those cues to the coast redwood and Dawn redwood. Note, Bald Cypress growth habit is also quite similar.

If you like the free videos, you can pay to join Mirai Live, and Ryan has hour plus videos on coast redwood, dawn redwood, and bald bald cypress.

Now I am not intentionally running an advert for Mirai, but the info there is high quality.

Alternative is read through threads on "Other Conifers" sub forum of Bnut. All the info is there.

I have only had a dawn redwood for 1 year, I'm not sure on how to handle it myself, so I will let those with more experience comment. I am watching the Mirai videos and pondering how to apply the info.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have both but I haven't been able to figure out the Coast yet. It may be North Florida is just too hot for them.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Got my info on pruning coastal redwood from Bob Shimon, owner of Mendicino Coast Bonsai. He's had more experience with coastal redwood than pretty much anyone, I imagine.

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Got my info on pruning coastal redwood from Bob Shimon, owner of Mendicino Coast Bonsai. He's had more experience with coastal redwood than pretty much anyone, I imagine.

Hi Brian,
Just wanted to ask to see if I am on a similar track, not that I have any of the above “bonsai” ready etc.
If you were theoretically to wire and cutback during their growing parts of the season, to achieve ramification, or would @Walter Pall method of continuous hedging ( for DW and BC) through growth periods be just as successful?
Charles

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
@KiwiPlantGuy I know you're asking Brian but here's my two cents. Personally, I would not hedge trim a Coast Redwood at anytime during the year. As or Dawn, you could hedge trim two or even three time a year without any issues.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The coastal redwoods seem to need a particular approach to managing the foliage. You should only prune during active growth periods. You can only cut back to visible buds. As new foliage extends, pinch the terminal bud out before it hardens off to keep the branch short and encourage back budding. Wire branches only after they've lignified.

Just cutting everywhere like the hedging you reference is very likely to generate branch die back, not the back budding you want.

Top Bottom