dawn redwood wound paste

bendem

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hi folks -

Bonsai newbie here. I had some less-than-great outcomes after applying Kiyonal cut paste on a couple spots on my dawn redwood. I was thinking the paste would basically fall off when the tree healed up, but instead the paste remained in place, with the bark callusing and growing around the paste instead.

Question: Are other growers of dawn redwood having better success with Kiyonal paste? Or are you using Cutpaster, Duct Seal, or something else?

Thanks!Screenshot_20211211-150938_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I've used a number of wound dressings and all have been fine.
Because I grow a lot of trees I've been using a commercial one called 'tree stac' It appears to be a water based acrylic sealer very like kiyonal.
I have not seen callus grow over any wound dressing. Callus seems to grow under the dressing and slowly pushes it up and off. The tree stac is persistent though and stays stuck to the wound and bark for several years.

bendem

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I've used a number of wound dressings and all have been fine.
Because I grow a lot of trees I've been using a commercial one called 'tree stac' It appears to be a water based acrylic sealer very like kiyonal.
I have not seen callus grow over any wound dressing. Callus seems to grow under the dressing and slowly pushes it up and off. The tree stac is persistent though and stays stuck to the wound and bark for several years.
Shibui - Thanks much for your reply. Now I'm thinking I may have been ignorant as I was considering this issue.

Below are a couple pictures of wounds where I peeled off the dried cut paste that I applied a few months back. I was disappointed to see paste stuck down inside the centers of the healing wounds.

Now I'm thinking ... this outside-first pattern is just the way that wounds typically heal, right?

Attachments

• 20211212_101309.jpg
    20211212_101309.jpg
    277.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 20211212_101505.jpg
    20211212_101505.jpg
    337.2 KB · Views: 14

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Now I'm thinking ... this outside-first pattern is just the way that wounds typically heal, right?
Absolutely right. Callus can only grow from the living edges around the wound so always from the outside.
If you peeled dried paste off the outside that means the callus grew under it and will continue to do so in the one that's still open. Sometimes scraping the growing edge and resealing will help kickstart more growth so it finishes healing sooner but yours is so close I would not bother. No scale in the pics but I'd guess that will be completely closed next summer.

Top Bottom