KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Hi G,
Just my thoughts as beginner Bonsaiist.

Trim in winter to shape you desire, harder at top and leave bottom branches longer for more branch taper. Wire in Winter/Spring, as easier when tree is leafless ( others can clarify).
As you would guess - the style of pot thing is all about personal preference but ... given this AMAZING tree is already in the 'formal upright shape', a deep ( trunk girth), dark-green/brown, rectangular pot to match bark and this will show off strength of the trunk also.
I look forward to following its progression and well done for this great start.
Charles

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
what type / style pot would be the bes

Looks neutral now.
I think it will remain rather neutral no matter how it's styled.

Rectangle with strong feet but rounded edges.

Nice !

Sorce

George Small

Sapling
Reaction score
Hi G,
Just my thoughts as beginner Bonsaiist.

Trim in winter to shape you desire, harder at top and leave bottom branches longer for more branch taper. Wire in Winter/Spring, as easier when tree is leafless ( others can clarify).
As you would guess - the style of pot thing is all about personal preference but ... given this AMAZING tree is already in the 'formal upright shape', a deep ( trunk girth), dark-green/brown, rectangular pot to match bark and this will show off strength of the trunk also.
I look forward to following its progression and well done for this great start.
Charles

Thanks for the input!
G.

George Small

Sapling
Reaction score
Looks neutral now.
I think it will remain rather neutral no matter how it's styled.

Rectangle with strong feet but rounded edges.

Nice !

Sorce

Styling is where I'm scratching my head.. Has to be formal upright . Guess it's mostly refining over the next few years. Maybe some trunk work? Just getting ideas.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I wouldn't work the trunk now understanding these are an "elongating species", as per Ryan Neil . "energy stored in vascular tissue.

I believe that means trunk too.

Which for me, would severely lessen the chances that wakes up next year if it was carved out.

Truthfully.,

I this is a screamin, (yes may be still very high pitched) beast!

I'd go for no visible scars.

Sorce

Jim G

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Love that tree... I'm in the market for one maybe half the size. Any recommendations?

George Small

Sapling
Reaction score
Love that tree... I'm in the market for one maybe half the size. Any recommendations?

Hi Jim
Got this one from Meehan's Miniature in Md.
Fantastic place. You may have to call them. The website only shows about 5% of what the have. Lucky for me I'm about an hours drive from them.

BE.REAL

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I am a fan of DR, rather all RW, and have 3 now( lost 2, until I learned their watering habit, wanted a forest of 5, unless I get more, more of a gathering of 3). I am not experienced with them by any means, but will mention, looks to be trunk chopped when pulled from grown perhaps. It seems a majority of your growth is in one area. Although, tough to tell through the foliage, maybe something were not seeing and the taper is o.k. I only say that cuz I have noticed/learned they burst out at cut areas.

George Small

Sapling
Reaction score
View attachment 173670 View attachment 173670 View attachment 173672 View attachment 173670
I am a fan of DR, rather all RW, and have 3 now( lost 2, until I learned their watering habit, wanted a forest of 5, unless I get more, more of a gathering of 3). I am not experienced with them by any means, but will mention, looks to be trunk chopped when pulled from grown perhaps. It seems a majority of your growth is in one area. Although, tough to tell through the foliage, maybe something were not seeing and the taper is o.k. I only say that cuz I have noticed/learned they burst out at cut areas.

Here are photos in its dormant state.image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I'd go for that formal upright style too but maybe play with how its set up, like how some Cryptomeria have movement that's expressed through its branches while still having a straight trunk. Since it looks like you have a central leader already growing to close that chop off to the side, maybe play with how compact the foliage is on one side and let the opposite get longer. Formal uprights can have asymmetry rather than being totally symmetrical. But I'm not too keen with Redwoods so I dunno how much success you would have with what I suggest aha. Sweet piece of material!

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone

BE.REAL

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hello, as we thought it was chopped, not a bad thing, but now you are a decision point. what style, etc. You can study up on carving and the like, so you know how to go about this.
you have a few possible leaders, that top one is beggin' for it, which is in an ideal location top of the chop. Very jealous of that GIRTH! I'm talking the trunk, BOOYa! research and go slow, that is all I can suggest, too many try to get to "the pot" too quickly, in my humble opinion.

BE.REAL

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
hello again, some of my reply got cut, my bad, but basically as ROCKM stated, need to figure out next move or you will be dealing with the always annoying reverse taper.

George Small

Sapling
Reaction score
Updated photos

Did a little carving to rid reverse taper , wire, and repot.

Attachments

• FFC8A70F-D4EA-4F69-B1C0-1C74AE717DF7.jpeg
    FFC8A70F-D4EA-4F69-B1C0-1C74AE717DF7.jpeg
    450.1 KB · Views: 38
  • 8C3AF8F4-CB0E-47F0-A433-0FDCA60E0B1E.jpeg
    8C3AF8F4-CB0E-47F0-A433-0FDCA60E0B1E.jpeg
    566.8 KB · Views: 37
  • 2989F533-DC54-4448-B5F2-DD602528CF45.jpeg
    2989F533-DC54-4448-B5F2-DD602528CF45.jpeg
    504.5 KB · Views: 36
Top Bottom