Dawn REDWOOD

BigC

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6-9
First and foremost I'm an aquarist, I keep and breed tropical fish or rather I keep water,
I mix up many permutations to breed the fish species in question.
That said should be using the same type of medium for all the trees, namely Acadama and other free-draining connotations.
I am yet a novice but I like to include a little bit of organics into the mix, this may be frowned upon in certain circles.
Reading a little bit about Redwoods would I be right to include some ericaceous compost into my mix for acid loving plants, or alternatively provide some slightly acid water when hydrating the tree.
Advice and tips on this species would be greatly welcomed.
(Your pics for something to aspire to would also be nice)
Redwood1.jpg
Regards
C
P.S. Temporary pot, for now, I will plant it in a much larger tub come Spring.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Hi there BC.

You in Northern CA? My dawn redwoods are in ~40/30/30 Aka/Pum/Lava, no organic, and pleased with growth + health. They like to be well watered, but I do not use a sitting water bath.

I have one large coastal redwood that will be repotted next Spring. Lot of strong opinions out there for 100% Akadama, which is likely what I'll use.

I've found Dawn to be much easier to repot than Coastal, but my sample size is smaller than most opinions you'll find here.

BigC

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6-9
Hi there BC.

You in Northern CA? My dawn redwoods are in ~40/30/30 Aka/Pum/Lava, no organic, and pleased with growth + health. They like to be well watered, but I do not use a sitting water bath.

I have one large coastal redwood that will be repotted next Spring. Lot of strong opinions out there for 100% Akadama, which is likely what I'll use.

I've found Dawn to be much easier to repot than Coastal, but my sample size is smaller than most opinions you'll find here.
More like Northern Ireland, Timber. lol
Thanks for your input. I normally don't use total Acadama. I like to see a little organics in there. My main mix for most (I don't have many) would be perhaps 80% Molar Clay (Cat Litter with no additives) and garden compost. I was under the impression that the Redwood would be more acid-loving hence swapping out the ordinary compost for ericaceous.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
More like Northern Ireland, Timber. lol
Thanks for your input. I normally don't use total Acadama. I like to see a little organics in there. My main mix for most (I don't have many) would be perhaps 80% Molar Clay (Cat Litter with no additives) and garden compost. I was under the impression that the Redwood would be more acid-loving hence swapping out the ordinary compost for ericaceous.

Understood. Your climate is outside my comfort zone, but good luck with the Dawn!

Top Bottom