Day one leaves shriveled up. Brussel's Kotohime. Help!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Hello there o wise ones. Did I kill this tree on day one? I unboxed it yesterday evening at 530 pm. Watered it heavily, and then returned from work to find this today. I live in Pittsburgh, PA. It was 84 today and the tree was in direct sun from 12 to 5. My other Brussel's maple right beside it (a trident) is totally fine. What happened? Did I kill it? I there still hope?

The first picture is yesterday and the second picture is today at the same time of day.

Your answers are appreciated!

Attachments

• 20180919_175551.jpg
    20180919_175551.jpg
    280 KB · Views: 139
  • 20180920_172754.jpg
    20180920_172754.jpg
    245.8 KB · Views: 145
  • 20180920_173204.jpg
    20180920_173204.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 137

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I’d put in serious shade immediately. Don’t feed.

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thank you for your suggestion. Do you think this was from a lack of water?

I have no maples myself...well, did have a rubra a long I gave away...novice

My first thought is that it got a bit baked, and should have been transitioned into the sun.

Could be a combination of things..but that’s a drastic change way fast..

In other words, looks sun baked, but likely other factors at play.

Was soil very dry when you got it?
Did you water it just once or multiple times?

Hack Yeah!

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I got one did the same thing, look at my pic and you can easily see crinkled leaves it came with and the healthy new growth. Yours may take until spring so don't give up on it

Attachments

• 20180920_182843.jpg
    20180920_182843.jpg
    500.2 KB · Views: 122
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I have no maples myself...well, did have a rubra a long I gave away...novice

My first thought is that it got a bit baked, and should have been transitioned into the sun.

Could be a combination of things..but that’s a drastic change way fast..

In other words, looks sun baked, but likely other factors at play.

Was soil very dry when you got it?
Did you water it just once or multiple times?
The soil wasn't as dry as I was expecting. I only watered it the once, alongside the Brussels trident and juniper that it was beside.

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yeah you fried it, but it should be fine. The buds look healthy, so probably not too much to worry about. Those stems probably won't grow new leaves this season but they should be fine next spring.

In the future, if you catch the leaves while they're still limp, you can water and in an hour they should perk back up and be fine.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Yeah you fried it, but it should be fine. The buds look healthy, so probably not too much to worry about. Those stems probably won't grow new leaves this season but they should be fine next spring.

In the future, if you catch the leaves while they're still limp, you can water and in an hour they should perk back up and be fine.
Thank you! I'm a total novice in my second week of tending to the (now) three plants that I have.

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
When I do things like this, this time of year, I just say I put them in an artificial dormancy, and things usually work out fine the next season :eek:

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Japanese maples are sensitive snowflakes. This was likely grown shade to part sun and then you put it in full sun and shocked the hell out of it! It should be just fine.
That sounds right. Do they slowly adjust? Or is it permanently snowflaked?

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Another thing to consider is that as the days get shorter, the arc of the sun gets lower on the horizon, and the places that once were in shade, may steadily gain more direct light

ysrgrathe

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
It was probably a bunch of things: was acclimated to a high humidity environment, was in a dark box for days (you should harden off shipped plants), and the peanuts that Brussels uses can also be desiccants over time.

Top Bottom