Day trip to Longwood Gardens

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
We took around 500 pics there between my wife and myself. The biggest public draw is the fountains.
Located due West of Philadelphia at Kennett Square, PA USA. Absolutely beautiful and worth a day trip
or diversion from your route if passing close by.
DSC_6540.JPG
It was a very bright day, very high humidity with temps in the low 90's F. My camera kept wanting to use flash for some reason
so sometimes I remembered to turn that off lol.

DSC_6545.JPG
This group of hemlock is comprised of THREE trees.
DSC_6815.JPG

DSC_6813.JPG

DSC_6688.JPG
This floor space is maybe 3 or 4" deep with water.

DSC_6690.JPG
another floor space covered with water with these stands displaying their Satsuki azaleas on.
DSC_6692.JPG
I'm sorry for the washed out pictures. More posts to come.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
We took around 500 pics there between my wife and myself. The biggest public draw is the fountains.
Located due West of Philadelphia at Kennett Square, PA USA. Absolutely beautiful and worth a day trip
or diversion from your route if passing close by.
View attachment 382234
It was a very bright day, very high humidity with temps in the low 90's F. My camera kept wanting to use flash for some reason
so sometimes I remembered to turn that off lol.

View attachment 382238
This group of hemlock is comprised of THREE trees.
View attachment 382237

View attachment 382239

View attachment 382240
This floor space is maybe 3 or 4" deep with water.

View attachment 382241
another floor space covered with water with these stands displaying their Satsuki azaleas on.
View attachment 382242
I'm sorry for the washed out pictures
That place is so nice! We spent an entire day there. Did you go up in the tree house?

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
That place is so nice! We spent an entire day there. Did you go up in the tree house?
No we didn't but did make it up to the Carillon tower
DSC_6804.JPG

DSC_6806.JPG

DSC_6807.JPG

DSC_6808.JPG

DSC_6776.JPG

DSC_6779.JPG

DSC_6787.JPG
This twin trunk sugar maple is dated 1800. Has been bolted together at some point.
DSC_6789.JPG

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Up to the conservatory. 2024 promises an orchid glass house and a plethora of bonsai in a new addition.
DSC_6663.JPG
This is what you see when the elevator doors open. Stunning contrast to the elevator decor.

DSC_6665.JPG
The columns are covered in weeping fig.

DSC_6666.JPG

DSC_6668.JPG

DSC_6670.JPG
DSC_6675.JPG
Didn't take a lot of pics in the "cactus room" or whatever they called it, but found this blooming palm interesting.

DSC_6678.JPG
I had never seen aloe in bloom either, pictured at bottom.

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you for sharing such wonderful pictures and taking us on the tour with you by doing so. It looks so nice there!!

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Thank you for sharing such wonderful pictures and taking us on the tour with you by doing so. It looks so nice there!!
We have to go back. I think 2 nights/wk they have after dark fountain performances.
I told @just.wing.it I would tag him on a good video of the gardens when I found it.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I am still blown away at the immensity of the concealed pipes behind glass for this pipe organ.
Not to mention the taking on and immensity of the job to stage the fountains in the 1st video above.
When I think of pipe organs I think of old Germany, and ornate pipes, not what is seen in this Aeolian organ.

10,010 pipes play to this sound machine
DSC_6719.JPG

DSC_6704.JPG

DSC_6706.JPG
I like the simple woodwork in this organ. Looks like something I would do without a lot of intricacies in old world models.
The floor alone would be difficult for me.
What follows behind the organ, are separate rooms of pipes...
DSC_6715.JPG

DSC_6716.JPG

DSC_6717.JPG

DSC_6718.JPG

DSC_6721.JPG

DSC_6722.JPG

I only wish I could have heard a performance. Behind glass there is a glare. Some pipes wooden some wood and metal,
some wood with a wooden insert, others are metal small as little drill bits.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you for the post, what great memories. My wife and I used to go there a couple times a year and we had a friend working there so we were able to see behind the scenes. I think it was 1989 when we visited a garden center on the way back called Waterloo Gardens. I bought the #1 copy of Bonsai today that weekend.
Sure do miss Longwood Gardens.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
DSC_6736.JPG
a wall of I don't know how many different type of ferns.
It is the privately oriented, public restrooms at the conservatory...hallway.
DSC_6737.JPG
They had family restroom, moms restroom, individuals restroom and the list goes on. I counted maybe 15? 8 on the left wall.
DSC_6739.JPG

DSC_6738.JPG
skylight in the Lou.

DSC_6741.JPG
We had a similar row of American Beach at my mom n dads growing up, just taller trunks higher branching in the wooded setting.
One was tagged by the Forestry Div. largest in circumference in the State of WV.
The year my dad died that tree died.
DSC_6745.JPG
Nebari reminds me a little bit of my Mt Maple. Reverse taper makes this tree unfit to view right? LOL

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Awesome……im very near Longwood and have a season pass.Lots of the bonsai are on loan from Doug Paul ,owner of the Kennett Collection.
The organ may be the biggest in the world……and yes……TOTALLY FASCINATING…….to hear a performance…….bigtime tones for sure.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Awesome……im very near Longwood and have a season pass.Lots of the bonsai are on loan from Doug Paul ,owner of the Kennett Collection.
The organ may be the biggest in the world……and yes……TOTALLY FASCINATING…….to hear a performance…….bigtime tones for sure.
Great! My wife said if we were close by we would have season passes. Met the visitor centre cat Primo.
So about the area...is Bonsai Empire not open to the public, and where is it located?

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Great! My wife said if we were close by we would have season passes. Met the visitor centre cat Primo.
So about the area...is Bonsai Empire not open to the public, and where is it located?
Bonsai empire? Not sure .
The kennett Collection very near Longwood and open by way of Brandywine Bonsai Society as they do occasional field days to Doug’s garden.
Otherwise not open…..check his website……the Kennett Collection

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I meant to include these 2 in the post with the fern wall
DSC_6791.JPG

DSC_6792.JPG
No idea how many types of ferns there are here. Growing up at my folks place, we had 4 and I thought that was a lot.
Bonsai empire? Not sure .
The kennett Collection very near Longwood and open by way of Brandywine Bonsai Society as they do occasional field days to Doug’s garden.
Otherwise not open…..check his website……the Kennett Collection
Well we will certainly be going back. Thank you will do.

Top Bottom