Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot

Adamantium

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I soooo want to get some, but I'm in a tiny apartment and need to be judicious about how I use my space. Do you think you'll have it next spring?

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
I soooo want to get some, but I'm in a tiny apartment and need to be judicious about how I use my space. Do you think you'll have it next spring?

I would bet somebody will.:) I totally get it however. I am going to need to find a place for a ton of DE! LOL!

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
The shipment did not arrive yesterday. Sooo if anyone wants to snag a box at the $29 price, get it now.

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm in

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Well not sure what happened there was some miscommunication between the seller and the freight company. In any case, shipments will go out Saturday. Sorry for the delay everyone.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
All preorders shipped Saturday. Normally that means Monday arrival but some may receive on Tuesday. Whew! That was a chore had USPS pick up at my house and filled the back of her truck! She was thankful I loaded it for her. :) I told her she was making my day easier so I would make her day easier. LOL!

There was a bit more of the larger size than in the sample but I think it's gonna be perfect for grow boxes and the like especially if you mix it with something else. Also, I should have a sample coming in for a new product that I don't have the specs on yet. I will let everyone know specs and we will see if there is an interest.

Gary McCarthy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
All preorders shipped Saturday. Normally that means Monday arrival but some may receive on Tuesday. Whew! That was a chore had USPS pick up at my house and filled the back of her truck! She was thankful I loaded it for her. :) I told her she was making my day easier so I would make her day easier. LOL!

There was a bit more of the larger size than in the sample but I think it's gonna be perfect for grow boxes and the like especially if you mix it with something else. Also, I should have a sample coming in for a new product that I don't have the specs on yet. I will let everyone know specs and we will see if there is an interest.
Excited to be getting mine. Now I just need to find the time to get my new soil sifting boxes made :)

Is the new product another DE product?

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Yep, it's the same product but they are shifting the screens around a bit. So it will have a different size distribution. What I am shooting for is one product for growing out and one for in the pot and refinement. That's what Ryan requested. I don't know the exact specs on it as it is not in production. I am supposed to be getting a sample very soon.

evmibo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Got home from work later than usual tonight. My wife had the box inside. I will sift through it sometime this week, and add it to one of my mixes in which it fits. Remind me, Clyde, what size particle should we most expect from this coarse DE?

Last edited:

Gary McCarthy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Yep, it's the same product but they are shifting the screens around a bit. So it will have a different size distribution. What I am shooting for is one product for growing out and one for in the pot and refinement. That's what Ryan requested. I don't know the exact specs on it as it is not in production. I am supposed to be getting a sample very soon.
Did Ryan get some of this last batch you just shipped out to try out on some of his trees?

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Got home from work later than usual tonight. My wife had the box inside. I will sift through it sometime this week, and add it to one of my mixes in which it fits. Remind me, Clyde, what size particle should we most expect from this coarse DE?

The spec they sent me says:
3/8” ......................................................................... 0.0%
4 Mesh ................................................................... 90.0%
6 Mesh ................................................................... 98.0%

SU2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Sorry to bump but I've been wanting larger DE for ages and at first I thought I found it but what is 'calcined' ie how does that affect the properties? They look 'harder' which to me would mean less WHC and a lower CEC, is that the case with calcined DE?

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Sorry to bump but I've been wanting larger DE for ages and at first I thought I found it but what is 'calcined' ie how does that affect the properties? They look 'harder' which to me would mean less WHC and a lower CEC, is that the case with calcined DE?

It does reduce the WHC a bit. Like from 110% of its weight in water to 95%, so not much. It does not really impact CEC that much and both WHC and CEC are better than akadama so... The biggest difference from our standpoint in bonsai is that non-calcined turns to mush in a season for the most part. It is not fired hot enough to vitrify but it does become much more stable.

This stands in contrast to turface which is high fired fully vitrified ceramic.

As it happens, my wife and I both lost our jobs this week and we may be looking to move in the next month or so. What that means is I am going to be clearing everything out that I don't want to move. That means the rest of my DE will be greatly reduced. I have not decided how low to go but I pretty much just want to cover my cost.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Oh NO! Both of you. One loss is unfathomable, both of you words can't express. Very sorry to hear.

As to the reduction, I'm all ears. Best of luck to you both Clyde.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The spec they sent me says:
3/8” ......................................................................... 0.0%
4 Mesh ................................................................... 90.0%
6 Mesh ................................................................... 98.0%
I don't understand mesh sizing yet, but the 3/8" that I understand greatly.
So what is 4 and 6 mesh in inches?

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
I don't understand mesh sizing yet, but the 3/8" that I understand greatly.
So what is 4 and 6 mesh in inches?

Screen squares per inch apparently. I'm not positive but that's what I have seen thus far. I will say that this batch has a bit more on the larger end and that may be an issue in finished pots but so far everything I have put in it to grow out is putting on massive growth.

TyroTinker

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
As it happens, my wife and I both lost our jobs this week and we may be looking to move in the next month or so. What that means is I am going to be clearing everything out that I don't want to move. That means the rest of my DE will be greatly reduced. I have not decided how low to go but I pretty much just want to cover my cost.
I'm sorry to hear that. Best of luck to you both. I will try and help unload some DE from you.

Top Bottom