Dead bald cypress?

Rid

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
is this dead? I believe it went without water for 3-4 days. I’ve been watering every 12 hours for the last two days

Attachments

• 4B038CA6-3FA2-44E9-BEC8-3F835FEC7DE2.jpeg
    4B038CA6-3FA2-44E9-BEC8-3F835FEC7DE2.jpeg
    389.6 KB · Views: 70

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You never know. Remove all the crispy foliage, then just wait. Don't do any chopping, just keep moist. Give it a few weeks, as Dav4 said.

Rid

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Should I hold off on feeding during this time?

Rid

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Well I don’t think it’s going to make it. No signs of life, and the branches are all very brittle.

So I upgraded! Won’t leave watering to my neighbor again.

Attachments

• 142DBB01-5661-46B4-BEE1-0916987E110D.jpeg
    142DBB01-5661-46B4-BEE1-0916987E110D.jpeg
    443 KB · Views: 35

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I drilled a 3/8" hole in the side of my tub, right at soil level...an overflow drain in you will... But I do dump mine and clean it every week or two.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I've got it in a garden tub that fits in a whiskey barrel so I'd hate to drill it out then not be able to use it for water lilies down the road. Besides, my turtles love all the tadpoles in there for lunch.
Oh, cool!
Yeah...mine is a Rubbermaid bin from Wal-Mart.

Rid

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
i'll be damned, my bald cypress is showing a few new buds after three weeks. thanks for the advice everybody.

when i was picking up my upgrade tree, the grower mentioned that he waters his trunks (in addition to the roots), and they loved it. I did this a few days ago, when the trunk had already turned an ashy grey. I don't know if soaking the trunk was the reason for the revival, but it certainly didn't hurt, as the trunk went from grey to red after doing it.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
i'll be damned, my bald cypress is showing a few new buds after three weeks. thanks for the advice everybody.

when i was picking up my upgrade tree, the grower mentioned that he waters his trunks (in addition to the roots), and they loved it. I did this a few days ago, when the trunk had already turned an ashy grey. I don't know if soaking the trunk was the reason for the revival, but it certainly didn't hurt, as the trunk went from grey to red after doing it.
Nah, your cypress was just waiting for the monsoons to come..... and they arrived today?

Reactions: Rid
Top Bottom