Dead old olive

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score
Scored this olive today. It's a very old trunk.tht has dies for.some reason, can't see a single branch from it alive but multiple thick branches emerging from base. I'm hoping I'll get a branch to work with from the trunk but in a worse case scenario do u think I can carve the deadwood from the back and place couple branches in it with a couple emerging from the sides and back and one from the top.to form an apex.
Alternatively I can make a couple small trees from the branches emerging from the base in front of the massive dead wood.
Should I protect the bark or deadwood somehow ?
Thanks for any advice. I got this tree for real cheap as it's dead but believe the bark and dead wood are amazing if i can work them out somehow .
Screenshot_20200215-200911_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20200215-200832_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20200215-182642_Gallery.jpg

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score
Was hoping I can get few branches to go over or in the trunk so that's it's used in the design as I believe it's an.amazing feature for the tree. Think if I wait enough it would be possible to get branches to emerg from bark on lower trunk at least ?

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I don't think you will get buds on that trunk. It looks well dead. Definitely dead where there is no bark and no shoots will ever grow from bare wood with no bark. Where there is still some bark you can gently scratch down through the dead layers. If you find some white live bark and a very thin green layer that section may still be alive and possibly grow some new buds.
I would plan on a dead trunk olive bonsai. There are some really old olives where the trunk had died and suckers from the roots have sprouted and grown into new trunks. Eventually the old trunk starts to rot away so there is fantastic hollows and cracks in the dead wood of the old trunk. You may be able to find some image online for inspiration. it will take some years for those skinny new shoots to grow into thick old trunks an it will take some skill or luck to carve the old trunk into something that looks both natural and attractive so good luck. Real cheap is the right sort of tree for practicing these techniques.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very dificult to read anything for your pictures I am afraid. Too much going on in them with a noisy background, weeds and shade/sun patterns.

Frmo what I can see, it does notlook like there is living bark on the big trunk.

I am not sure whether I would consider this trunk a feature at the moment. A clearer picture of the base of the plant might help. And a clear picture of the whole plant against an homogenous background.

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info, real8ze thenpucs are not clear nor easy to read. I will pick up the tree hopefully Monday, cleanup all the weed and take better pics against a clear background.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
The trunk looks dead to me, and the bark that is left looks to be flaking off. You could remove it bit by bit with a sharp knife to see if you come upon a live vein (light green). If you do, stop there! If you are so lucky just wait, and sooner or later it might put out a new branch.

Otherwise, I think you should try to make the most of what it is - a tree with a dead main trunk that is growing out from the roots. Prune back one or two of the shoots that you have to get them to ramify and look like shorter, younger trees. As @Shibui suggested, get some inspiration from Internet. I found the image below in a few seconds (not an olive), and if you take a little time you should find something you like. You will need a Dremel or something to do a little carving to make the dead trunk look interesting, but there is no rush for that.

kathy-buddleja.jpg

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.
I will pick up the tree tomorrow and will start by cleaning it up and inspecting the whole trunk for signs of life. I'll try to learn from the nursery guys why it died and when if that helps.
I'm hoping itll have dome life and that few branches will sprout out even from low trunk (looks like its liw probability)
If not I'll proceed as u and shibui advised and work on the branches growing from the roots and in the 2-3 seasons it takes to get those to shape up I'll train on carving and start working slowly on it and another similar tree with a live trunk I got.
I do have a dremel but believe will need a die grinder or a more powerful tool for trunks this thick ?

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score
Hi again.
Picked up the tree yesterday and had a better look at it. Indeed it looks mostly dead except Lower part of the trunk where bark is still there and not clearly peeling. I'm hoping that couple.branches might still pop from there. Yet on the bright side if none appear I can see good branches emerging at the base or from a bit farther away which are promising already for a dead trunk as suggested above.
Dead trunk looks already interesting, I'll train a bit on carving maybe to improve it later on as I have zero experience in carving.
Here's some better pictures and appreciate any advice or suggestions

Screenshot_20200220-072530_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20200220-072601_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20200220-072617_Gallery.jpg
Bark on underside after curve is peeling off
Screenshot_20200220-072632_Gallery.jpg
Bark at trunk level is still there so far. Scratched couple spots with no signs of green
Screenshot_20200220-072653_Gallery.jpg

Branches emerging right at the base and a bit farther away. Believe some can be used or I can air layer a few and place in better positions if needed.
Screenshot_20200220-072746_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20200220-072807_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20200220-072819_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20200220-072835_Gallery.jpg

Small leaf size on this olive at most leaves at 0.5-1 cm size
Screenshot_20200220-072725_Gallery.jpg

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score
Jul 2020 i took it out of nursery soil, flattend base and planted in a bonsai pot . Hoping ill get a couple branches on trunk although most of it looks dead. If not ill just work with suckers to grow from behind and pull few branches to sides back and top to develop a tree around the dead trunk
Screenshot_20210817-022735_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20210817-022748_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20210817-022810_Gallery.jpg

Left couple suckers for a tiny tree to be made to fill up the empty space under trunk curve
Screenshot_20210817-022836_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score
Pruned branches that got long today and wired them to appear as if growing from trunk. Reduced top thick sucker as it looked fake and willbreduce more if I get a lower branch to form an apex
Screenshot_20210816-080530_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20210816-080603_Gallery.jpg

Any need for more branches from more locations to form mini pads and any potential for this tree to look realistic?
Screenshot_20210817-024958_Gallery.jpg

Top Bottom