Dead tree?

Reaction score
if I was cleaning up inverse taper on my tree and I cut a ring around the bark but the bark is still connects in two small places, will the tree live?

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hard to say. What kind of tree is it?

There is a chance if it is still connected top to bottom but it might kill off some of the branches.
Different species respond to this differently. Some have the ability to quickly shift transport of water and nutrients to those bridges.
Other species dont and would probably die.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

There is a chance if it is still connected top to bottom but it might kill off some of the branches.
Different species respond to this differently. Some have the ability to quickly shift transport of water and nutrients to those bridges.
That’s a long winded version of:

“It depends.”

Reaction score

It’s an itoigawa juniper. I was correcting inverse taper. Don’t have pictures of it right now. I recently cut off branches and styled it as well.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
1615911266988.jpeg
All beloved animated characters aside... what kind of tree is it?

Ok, I see now.

🤓

I don’t know enough about Junis.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It’s an itoigawa juniper. I was correcting inverse taper. Don’t have pictures of it right now. I recently cut off branches and styled it as well.
Can you post a picture and please update your profile to include your location so we dont have to ask and can give you advice with that in mind.

I am not sure how well a juniper is going to respond to this treatment.
There are better ways to try and correct inverse taper and they usually dont include cutting into the trunk

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Let him bear witness to the moment I sincerely miss those ......

Nevermind.

You can't track the Smart Ones.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahah!

Sorce

Reaction score
Can you post a picture and please update your profile to include your location so we dont have to ask and can give you advice with that in mind.

I am not sure how well a juniper is going to respond to this treatment.
There are better ways to try and correct inverse taper and they usually dont include cutting into the trunk
F755B28E-DE5E-4B4B-992E-92A1B6F9F2D6.jpeg27BA85DE-00CE-4EB0-9C19-EB3A64F1F738.jpegA31E4C3C-2BFF-46D3-B214-3DB790C04F3D.jpeg

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Provided there is a continuous strip of healthy bark connecting active roots to branches the tree should survive, even if the strips of bark are thin.
It is hard to judge how good the connection is in the pictures but there is nothing you can do now except cross fingers and hope.
Some of the connections in the photo look tenuous but there are also sections where you have only removed the outer layers and cambium may still be active and recover.

Reaction score
Provided there is a continuous strip of healthy bark connecting active roots to branches the tree should survive, even if the strips of bark are thin.
It is hard to judge how good the connection is in the pictures but there is nothing you can do now except cross fingers and hope.
Some of the connections in the photo look tenuous but there are also sections where you have only removed the outer layers and cambium may still be active and recover.
In time, will it heal over and repair the live vein?

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
In time, will it heal over and repair the live vein?
As I already said that will depend on whether you have left enough connection between the roots and branches. I can only go on the couple of photos you have provided. I cannot look close or feel what is left of te cambium layer so it is hard to give an accurate prognosis. If there is viable continuous connection some of the branches should survive. If you have cut through those connections there is no way the branches can survive.
Nothing you can do to reverse the damage now but I am sure you will remember this lesson.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
You went too deep on removing the bark. It’s not necessary at all, and then only remove the flaky stuff.
You removed a lot of foliage, now it’s time to let it recover. Buy another tree if you can’t keep your hands off this one for 6 months.
You need to learn how to wire. Search Colin Lewis on Craftsy or something like that. @Adair M found this, and it’s a very good tutorial.
Good job responding to an already-existing thread. It is best to keep a single thread going for a tree progression.

Top Bottom