Dead wood advice

clapper

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Hello,
I recently styled a Chinese juniper including the beginnings of some deadwood features. For now I’ve just peeled the bark and cambium and was going to wait to carve until the tree develops a little more. The problem is the deadwood has black streaking on it which almost looks like mold. Any idea what this is, how to remove and how to prevent? Not sure I can avoid it getting wet with watering and rain. Thanks!

Attachments

• 41C66D57-2B24-431B-A2D7-CFE5B0562B61.jpeg
    41C66D57-2B24-431B-A2D7-CFE5B0562B61.jpeg
    194.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 73A72755-903D-458C-AC06-FE84D8EB4660.jpeg
    73A72755-903D-458C-AC06-FE84D8EB4660.jpeg
    202.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 6FBCCEAD-8D15-4F3C-9F0B-7B29F2E77A89.jpeg
    6FBCCEAD-8D15-4F3C-9F0B-7B29F2E77A89.jpeg
    181.9 KB · Views: 12

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Use lime sulfur to treat and preserve your deadwood. It will kill any fungus as well as bleach the wood.

clapper

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Use lime sulfur to treat and preserve your deadwood. It will kill any fungus as well as bleach the wood.
Thanks. I’ve looked into this but can’t figure out where to buy from. Stuff seems pretty toxic to work with too so was hoping to avoid.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Thanks. I’ve looked into this but can’t figure out where to buy from. Stuff seems pretty toxic to work with too so was hoping to avoid.
You are looking for a product that bleaches wood... but you don't want it to be "toxic"? I am not aware of a product that is strong enough to bleach wood, and not strong enough to bleach skin. Lime-sulfur is an organic compound created by mixing... wait for it... lime with sulfur. It is caustic (as is lime mortar), so don't get it in your eyes or on your skin and that's about all you have to worry about. Because you are applying it to deadwood on your tree, I would recommend you use a small paint brush. Otherwise, make sure you close your container tightly after each use, because it will break down and precipitate in the presence of oxygen.

You can buy it specifically for bonsai use... or you can buy it as a pet dip concentrate... or you can make your own. Generally speaking, most people use a 30% strength for bonsai deadwood, so if you use a concentrate, make sure you dilute as needed.

clapper

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
You are looking for a product that bleaches wood... but you don't want it to be "toxic"? I am not aware of a product that is strong enough to bleach wood, and not strong enough to bleach skin. Lime-sulfur is an organic compound created by mixing... wait for it... lime with sulfur. It is caustic (as is lime mortar), so don't get it in your eyes or on your skin and that's about all you have to worry about. Because you are applying it to deadwood on your tree, I would recommend you use a small paint brush. Otherwise, make sure you close your container tightly after each use, because it will break down and precipitate in the presence of oxygen.

You can buy it specifically for bonsai use... or you can buy it as a pet dip concentrate... or you can make your own. Generally speaking, most people use a 30% strength for bonsai deadwood, so if you use a concentrate, make sure you dilute as needed.
Thanks. That was helpful minus the snarky comments 😉😘

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
15% household bleach in water painted on with a nylon brush will work as well. You can do it a couple times a year. Don't wear clothes you like.

Top Bottom