Dead Wood

Danny-e-

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi folks, so heres the thing. You go on holiday making sure u someones supposed to be watering your plants ofc ;) only to arrive back finding that some of your stock is bone dry with brown leaves :( .

Yes you just know it lol never trust your daughter'in'law to water the plants properly. Anyway what im wondering is a few of my hawthorns and maples have had all there leaves shrivel up an die. Ive done like a little scratch on either a branch or trunk and found that some of them still have the green cambium. Do i assume that these may still survive and just go dormant till next year now? and when i say may i do mean it keeping fingers crossed or will they just die off totally?

Thankfully there wasnt that many that had dried out completely an even more so that it was only stock and not anything that had had work done :)

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
It's very unlikely your trees would enter dormancy due to lack of water in late May and remain that way until the following year. Your trees will either start to show signs of recovery during the next month by growing a set of new leaves, or....you will notice the bark on the smaller branches beginning to wrinkle slightly as the cambium dries out, indicating that that branch is dead. In the meantime, all you can do is keep the trees in a sunny location and keep the soil slightly moist but not wet. Good luck,

Dave

Top Bottom