Deadwood Chinese larch

Keith m

Seedling
Reaction score
Does any one have experience with deadwooding the top of a larch sorta going for the lightening strike look. Is that possible with these trees they are not very common where I live.

Keith m

Seedling
Reaction score
I think that's the answer I was looking for

Tycoss

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just look up larch bonsai online, or even on this site. All sorts of deadwood work is possible with them.

Keith m

Seedling
Reaction score
Just look up larch bonsai online, or even on this site. All sorts of deadwood work is possible with them.

I have poked around through pictures and literature. I'm wondering since it's a conifer that sheds it's needles if it would be like a Mable that would just she'd or drop off any Deadwood. Or just cover it up. Maybe that is something I would just deal with in the future.

Keith m

Seedling
Reaction score
Also wondering the best time to do this work on this particular species.

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
i believe now is the right time

anyone: right me if im wrong :

its said that now the wound heals slower when not growing and it Will look better than when it does grow and heals quicker.

Keith m

Seedling
Reaction score
This is what I'm working with... I will be knocking off the top right b4 that big curve the previous owner put into it...

Attachments

• 20170116_151926.jpg
    20170116_151926.jpg
    415.5 KB · Views: 39

Tycoss

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks like it has potential. Nice bark and start of branching. Let us know how it goes.

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have poked around through pictures and literature. I'm wondering since it's a conifer that sheds it's needles if it would be like a Mable that would just she'd or drop off any Deadwood. Or just cover it up. Maybe that is something I would just deal with in the future.

Some deciduous species have very good decay resistance actually and some conifers poor. Different information sources list thing differently of course and sapwood ratings might be different than heartwood. This is the first chart I googled up just now, others will differ. Western larch here is generally considered a pretty good wood for outside use, decent decay resistance. image.jpg

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There's a handy little chart

I guess there are other things to consider when deciding if deadwood is suitable for a tree/species but looking up the decay resistance can help give an idea how long it might last if it's deemed an asset to the tree.

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Some deciduous species have very good decay resistance actually and some conifers poor. Different information sources list thing differently of course and sapwood ratings might be different than heartwood. This is the first chart I googled up just now, others will differ. Western larch here is generally considered a pretty good wood for outside use, decent decay resistance. View attachment 129259

thats a cool chart as I have black cherry and red mullberry - I was debating how long dead wood would:D last

Top Bottom