Deadwood conservation?

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have an old dead juniper which I would like to turn into a tanuki because of the interesting trunklines. In order to make this last a bit I am looking at options to treat the old trunk. As it has no living tissue I can do whatever I want till I marry it to the young whip I have sitting ready for it.

ANy recommendations? I have the general wood hardener (Traded by Alabastine (https://www.alabastine.nl/product/houtrotimpregneer/), but I think it is is the same stuff found around the world in different brand names (e.g., https://www.screwfix.com/p/ronseal-wet-rot-wood-hardener-clear-500ml/63540).

I am in doubt this will really enter the wood very deep. Are there other options I could look into? Naturally, I would also use limesulphur but that will not stop the wood from decaying at ground lever I am sure. .

ralf

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Think about Paraloid B72. Acrylic resin. Used by professional renovators. Warm up the piece of wood ( sun/oven ), warm up the resin in a waterbath ( surely not on direct heat ), apply with a brush or even better soak it if you can. Wrap in a streach foil until dry. Repeat 2-3 times.

Sounds like a lot of work, isn't it. But the result counts. For sure there are many other methods available... Good luck.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Most hardeners are polymers which are dissolved in a solvent. In Europe the solvent tends to be acetone or something else that's not extremely harmful. The solvent works as a transporter; wherever the solvent goes, the hardener will follow.
If you can find out what the solvent is for your hardener, you might be able to soak your wood in that solvent before you treat it. That way it can penetrate to the core of the wood. But then again, you might need six or seven times the amount of hardener because you'll basically be filling every air-pocket in the wood with hardener.
We use this style of replacing water and air with solvent in plant microscopy as well.

Make sure the wood is dry, free from water. You can speed this process by baking epsom salts @ 200 degrees C until it's crispy, and then put it in a plastic bag together with your wood. The epsom salt will acts as dehumidifier, and you can re-use it by baking it again when it's wet. If you heat up the wood itself, it might crack from drying too fast.

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Jelle, I know that Fred(forgot his last name) but the one that helps Ron the Roo with demos sometimes
, he has made something to preserve wood maybe you can shoot him a message to get some info about what he use/creates

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sounds like a lot of work, isn't it. But the result counts.
THx. THis sound like it could work, except that the work I am working with will need an industrial sized kiln to heat.. It is about 4ft diameter. And .. We have reached the period of the year that the sun is hiding behind wind and rain. Being impatient.. I would like to get working on this before the sun returns in what feels like 200 years!

If you can find out what the solvent is for your hardener, you might be able to soak your wood in that solvent before you treat it. That way it can penetrate to the core of the wood.
Thx, this is what I was thinking about too. I can imagine I can figure out the solvent (Or solvent group) by looking what they recommend for cleaning up after use. Will have a look

Make sure the wood is dry, free from water.
Oh it is dry alright. Tree died over a year ago. It sat in full sun without soil for most of summer and now is hanging on the wall in a shed.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Just be careful when they say you should use turpentine or other more oily solvents like wasbenzine, those could stain the wood.
Also, I'm not sure if lime sulphur still works on treated wood, since it's water-bound and you're trying to keep water out of the wood.. I would treat it with LS before treating the wood with hardener.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What if while you're tinkering with this, pounding nails or some shit....
You miss a phone call which was an opportunity to acquire a juniper way better than this?

IMO.

Fuuuuuck Tanuki!

Of course that doesn't mean you can't do what you want.
I just think you're better than pretend.😉

Sorce

ralf

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I would like to get working on this before the sun returns in what feels like 200 years!

I do understand. Just a subtle difference between doing things fast or right. But that's the fastsai of today.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What if while you're tinkering with this, pounding nails or some shit....
Just hate I killed this with impatience. Deserves a second chance.
Anybody use a vacuum chamber for this? Pros & cons?
Size limits?
Just a subtle difference between doing things fast or right. But that's the fastsai of today.
Lol. Don't think you know me :)

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
ust hate I killed this with impatience. Deserves a second chance

Ryan Neil says we need a good reason to do anything right?

I don't think this, or these, are goods reasons to do this.

It reads...

You are upset with yourself.
You want to extend the tree "a second chance" but it's a tree. It's dead.

Second chances are reserved for humans. It's a human thing.

I think you should give yourself a second chance.

This pretending may "feel like" a second chance, but it is this pretend "second chance" for a tree, which doesn't deserve one.

I fear most this endeavor will keep YOU from YOUR second chance, the one you deserve as a human.

I'd like to see what happens when you don't miss that phone call.

Sorce

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I can't agree with sorce at all on this one. If you have a calling to do this, do it. It is an exercise and it is not going to keep you from another pursuit. Just listen for the phone. Mine is pretty quiet and I am not waiting for it as much as I am prepared for it.

Top Bottom