deal on osmocote

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
do you use about a teaspoon per pot would you say? top dress?
im thinking even half a teaspoon?
I say about half spoon but depends on the pot size as well. A little more or less doesn't seem to hurt anything. I am terrible at feeding my trees so this form of fert really helped. Am thinking of one dose around early March and another one around Sept will do for my climate.

Firstflush

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3-4
So what do you all think when you have a few dozen undissolved micro pellets in the pot many months later?
Do you think it was improper manufacture or just haven’t dissolved yet?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So what do you all think when you have a few dozen undissolved micro pellets in the pot many months later?
Do you think it was improper manufacture or just haven’t dissolved yet?
The pellets don't dissolve. They release fertilizer inside through osmosis. All those empty shells are one of the reasons I avoid this stuff.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Pretty good deal. Thanks!

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
The pellets don't dissolve. They release fertilizer inside through osmosis. All those empty shells are one of the reasons I avoid this stuff.
They don’t dissolve but the resin is biodegradable. It takes a little longer but they do breakdown.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They don’t dissolve but the resin is biodegradable. It takes a little longer but they do breakdown.
like years...I've found them in the soil when repotting trees that haven't had work in five years...

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
even if they dont dissolve or w.e., i found strong reviews on the product that override or nullify everything else in my mind

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
like years...I've found them in the soil when repotting trees that haven't had work in five years...
You are right. It takes about 3 in my garden. Don’t know how long in bonsai pot. I haven’t been in bonsai that long.

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
In my case, most of the used and sometimes still good pellets are just wash away from watering. I don't find that to be an issue.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
even if they dont dissolve or w.e., i found strong reviews on the product that override or nullify everything else in my mind
FWIW, Osmocote was blamed for some bonsai nursery problem waay back. The stuff "dumped" large amounts of fertilizer all at once because release is temperature/water activated. It got a bad rep back then. Don't know if that's still an issue, though. I don't use it because it's a "set and forget" fertilizer which doesn't care about a plant's current needs or conditions. It just does its thing. I 'd rather have a bit more control than that...

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
FWIW, Osmocote was blamed for some bonsai nursery problem waay back. The stuff "dumped" large amounts of fertilizer all at once because release is temperature/water activated. It got a bad rep back then. Don't know if that's still an issue, though. I don't use it because it's a "set and forget" fertilizer which doesn't care about a plant's current needs or conditions. It just does its thing. I 'd rather have a bit more control than that...
i respect that and dont doubt you, interesting too

i based decision off 4.5/5 (90% positive) out of a 16,000 sample size and also, i follow momij-en (sp?) on youtube and he likes the product for his collection of maples
, which is what a big concentration of my horticulture is geared towards now

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I got the same size bag earlier this year. I just put it in my tree’s that are in developing stages. I did only once this year I can see giving it twice a year working better. Not in trees that are in bonsai mix soil. They get the liquid and bio gold attention lol.

AcerAddict

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
That is a really good price. I'd buy some if I didn't already have a bunch of Miracle-Gro granular fertilizer already. Plus, I use Holly-tone Evergreen and Azalea food on my Japanese maples, Japanese Holly, and our in-ground Azaleas since they like more acidic soil.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I, unfortunately, don't fertilize my trees like I should. I looked into Osmocote, but have read mixed reviews mostly because of the casing of the product being slow to breakdown, if it does at all. I have picked up some BioGold, but might look back into Osmocote...

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Osmocote release is temperature controlled, which can be a problem in hot summer areas. According to my recollection of a label, with daytime highs in the 70's F, or 18 to 20 C, it will take 3 months to release most of the fertilizer. At 80 F it takes 2 months, and at 90 F it takes one month. Roughly. So the obvious problem is, application rate needs to vary depending on expected temps. Our most common bonsai species grow faster the warmer the weather, up to a point. At about 95 F our common bonsai species begin to slow and go into a summer dormancy. This is when Osmocote is releasing most rapidly. This is when fertilizer burn can happen. If you use a coated fertilizer, apply it 3 months before peak summer heat, and re-apply after summer dormancy has ended. It is a difficult product to use if you have very hot summers.

Where I live, we rarely have weather over 90 F, it is easier to use here.

To get better control, mix Osmocote with your favorite cottonseed meal cake or other organic fertilizer and put them in the "tea bags". Then when hot weather threatens, you can remove all the fertilizer until weather is cooler. Tea bags also eliminate having empty shells in the potting mix.

Top Bottom