Dealing with deciduous with large tap root

Sagebrush

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Working with TX Mtn Laurel planted from seed. They have aggressive tap roots. Have read that they should be separated and the seedlings transplanted to individual containers before reaching 12". Can I reduce the tap root at this stage?

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I don't know Texas mt laurel but in general seedling stage is the safest time to reduce the main root. Even species that are traditionally difficult to root prune as adults can have seedling roots chopped aggressively and respond well. I generally root prune seedlings well before they reach 12 inches tall to prevent strong tap roots. As soon as they are big enough to handle is my preferred timing for first transplant and root prune but many will still be Ok for later transplant and root reduction.

Sagebrush

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't know Texas mt laurel but in general seedling stage is the safest time to reduce the main root. Even species that are traditionally difficult to root prune as adults can have seedling roots chopped aggressively and respond well. I generally root prune seedlings well before they reach 12 inches tall to prevent strong tap roots. As soon as they are big enough to handle is my preferred timing for first transplant and root prune but many will still be Ok for later transplant and root reduction.

Thanks For the input.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Depends on how many feeder roots left after reduction, Often needs done in stages over several repots. Sometimes tree can be planted higher with some of tap root used as lower trunk and can hasten process☺️.

Top Bottom