Dealing with oversized elm roots

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I have noticed that elms have a tendency to develop oversized roots at the surface in a manner that may not be desirable. I have a Slippery Elm shown below with a big surface root that is easily as big as the trunk. I also have a Zelkova with a large taproot and a prop root extending off if it. These both need repotting next spring so I am wondering how to deal with these monstrosities. Can they be split or otherwise modified, or just cut off? I have not dug into the root ball to see what the rest of the roots look like in there but will obviously get a view next spring.

Slippery elm

7372122A-BA88-4C5E-8EC0-D37B3B428E1E.jpegB25D3DD2-1736-4AFA-9790-1B7B92D7E308.jpeg

Zelkova

4BB850B5-4319-40A9-A6E0-7EA2FA77CBFC.jpeg

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If youre saying they used to have nicely worked nebari, Im not sure Im buying it

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It sounded to me like you said the elm inherently creates this problem, but Im wondering why you have an established elm with a taproot in a pot.
Anyway, I remember Nigel Saunders had a similar problem, maybe check it out:
Good luck, if you cant afford to cut the tap root because it has the vast majority of feeder roots, maybe try groundlayering at some point

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Someone forgot to work those roots befor planting AND planted the tree too shallow causing all smaller roots to fail.

You will have to look and see what happens below the soil, and start reducing the heavy roots. Often you can remove these big ones, but it does require some smaller roots. Over 2 or 3 repottings you can probably sort this out. Remember to plant deep if you want to improve the nebari.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have noticed that elms have a tendency to develop oversized roots at the surface in a manner that may not be desirable. I have a Slippery Elm shown below with a big surface root that is easily as big as the trunk. I also have a Zelkova with a large taproot and a prop root extending off if it. These both need repotting next spring so I am wondering how to deal with these monstrosities. Can they be split or otherwise modified, or just cut off? I have not dug into the root ball to see what the rest of the roots look like in there but will obviously get a view next spring.

Slippery elm

View attachment 339864View attachment 339866

Zelkova

View attachment 339867
Your slippery elm’s nebari is too far gone to “fix”. Your only remedy is to ground layer a whole new nebari. Fortunately, elms layer easily.

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Yep too far gone. Not worth trying to save, ditch the old roots and ground layer.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Elms are prone to this. They tend to produce just a few thick roots if allowed to do their own thing. Early root intervention can make a big difference.
Elms can cope with really severe root pruning and often that can help but I agree with the others here. Layering will be a much shorter and probably much better fix.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Good advice from Jelle.

What's more, when you prune elms (most of them, all the species I know), or Zelkova, root cuttings are so easy to grow.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I assumed the slippery elm would need a ground layer. The zelkova is a 2 year old grown from seed that really grew like crazy this summer and developed the big tap root. I am hoping I can chop back the root but need to see what else in in there first. I didn’t remember Nigel’s video so will go back and give it a look. Somebody also told me that Peter Chan had a recent video on dealing with elm roots. So one way or the other it’ll get done.

Top Bottom