Dealing with possible mistakes

BonsaiWilly

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So I stored my little trees in the basement this winter. It was pretty cold this winter; normally I keep them on a three season porch, that only see's sunset.

We went through a long cold spout, so I put them in the basement cause I was afraid of freezing the root ball. The basement is old and stays around 48 degrees.

They are still in the basement, some are budding. But it's still in the 30's to 40's out, and it drops below freezing at night.

Now what should I do? Move them to the 3 season porch, bring them in my apartment and put them in a window( which doesn't get much Sun.). Put them on the front porch...and I have a light I could put them under.

Haha...uh any pointers here?

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
What kind of trees? Plenty can freeze solid no problem, but it sounds like you are past that.
im not sure about what a three season porch is, but what temps are occurring in there?

skrit

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Three season normally means enclosed but unheated and probably poor if any insulation. I'd think you could move them out there, maybe with a small portable heater to try and keep it above 32 at night. Check your temp in there overnight first. Worst case, anything that starts putting out leaves needs to get some sun during the day, and can be brought back to the basement at night.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Long as that sunset doesn't cook the porch.

Sorce

sbarnhardt

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
What kind of trees? Plenty can freeze solid no problem, but it sounds like you are past that.
im not sure about what a three season porch is, but what temps are occurring in there?

Here's an "example" of what they're talking about. They can range from rudimentary to opulent, large to small, etc. but this will give you the idea.

Attachments

• 3 season room 1.png
    3 season room 1.png
    39.7 KB · Views: 30

BonsaiWilly

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey thanks for the replies everyone, and sorry for the vagueness of my post.

So to add to the post. Okay so the three season porch, it's basically an enclosed porch, no insolation. Basically it just blocks wind and rain, the temp inside for the most part is always equal to the temp outside.

The tree's are all deciduous, all scrapers , I took them from yards I was working on when I landscaped (not stolen, they were just weeds.) But the list is: a burning bush, Korean lilac, honey suckle, Japanese maple, a black locust I think,

BonsaiWilly

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorry I posted by mistake before I was done, so there's also a Dwark Trost Lace leaf Birch, I bought off of Amazon.

The birch I'm worried about more than others it not only is in a cooler in the basement it also is in a potting mix which now understand is the wrong soil. It's done well until now so that might be catching up to it. Not sure if I should let it hang out as is. It's my oldest tree, and has always lived in that soil and done well. Or should I just transplant it into more breathable soil immediately then let it chill in my place with me, which is 70 degrees on average. Or put it under a grow light...I don't know.

Once again thanks for the response and I apologies for not being more informed on the subject, def not a bonsai pro here, just having fun with it.

BonsaiWilly

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would also like to add that temps in the basement now range from 55 down to 48 degrees. Depending on temps outside. My weather app is still predicting below freezing temps at night for the week coming.

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Of the trees you listed, I think you'll be ok on the three season porch. Maybe throw a cheap thermometer out there the next few nights and see how cold it gets. I would put them out, and then if the overnight says in the 20s pull them inside until the morning. Looking at my weather, it looks like Saturday night might be the coldest but the other nights and days look fine

skrit

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I tend to think they'd be OK out there for now too. Consider putting them right up against the wall of the house and maybe 'mulch' them by covering the sides of the pots with a few old blankets or something, it might help. Saturday night may be moderately cold and if you're worried, you could pull them in overnight, but otherwise the lows are getting better without many big dips predicted next week.

Top Bottom