Dear Actual/Hypothetical Bonsai Seller

goosetown

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hello, my name's Geoff. I sometimes order trees online when I can't find what I'm looking for at one of my local nurseries (which is rare). It's the magic of the Internet! You show what you have, I tell you that I'd like to buy it, I send you money, you send me a tiny little tree. Truly, we're lucky to live in the future.

And as such, I feel like we have lots of options at our fingertips. FUTURE options. Advanced techniques for shipment. The bulk of the (relatively few) trees that I have needed shipped to my place of residence have arrived intact and nicely contained with scant muss or fuss about the process. That changed today. And though my nice little Practice Cryptomeria (as I shall call it until I prove that I won't kill it) did indeed arrive healthy and in one piece, there was one issue. I'd like to take a minute to warn you in advance to avoid this practice - or stop dead in your tracks from doing it, if such might be the case - as it will most assuredly cause your customers to hate you with the burning fire of 10,000 suns. And never patronize you again.

Here we go:

Do not pack your trees in Styrofoam Motherfucking Peanuts.

You see, like many bonsai enthusiasts, my first instinct is not to open a plant inside my house, but outside. On my porch. In relative "nature". Where the tree belongs. And what happens when you use Styrofoam Motherfucking Peanuts, packed DENSELY into the cardboard box with the tree, is this: it gets everywhere. Because you open the box, and those awful little bastards just spill out. On a particularly unlucky day, like, say, oh, I don't know...today, you'll open your box unsuspecting at JUST the moment when the slightest gust of wind comes sweeping by, and BOOM. You've got Styrofoam Motherfucking Peanuts all over your porch, all over your previously uncontaminated bonsai, and all over yourself. Additionally, let's say you live on the third story of a building with a rather nice little communal garden just feet below. In that instance, Styrofoam Motherfucking Peanuts might be carried down into said garden - by wind AND gravity! - and, concurrently, you might be forced to later explain to a rather perturbed HOA why the once-pristine community garden is now quasi-blanketed in Styrofoam Motherfucking Peanuts.

Here's the thing: it's not like Styrofoam Motherfucking Peanuts are the only option available to you in the realm of bonsai-shipping. In fact, they're not even the most inexpensive or reliable, and they're CERTAINLY not the most user-friendly. So why use them? This is an important question I feel like you may not have asked yourself before. It's paramount that you start.

I hope this has been a helpful open letter. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to spend the next hour picking microscopic bits of Styrofoam Motherfucking Peanuts out of my otherwise lovely little Practice Cryptomeria.

Sincerely,

Geoff LaTulippe, Bonsai Enthusiast and Potential Sanitarium Resident

Kevster

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I do agree with them being a huge pain in the ass as I too opened my first Internet purchase yesterday outside and yes the peanuts did blow around at first I then took the box indoors to unpackaged it the rest of the way.

That being said. I am not sure why it was packaged with peanuts. But if the shipper found this to be the best way to ship trees successfully without issues that's fine by me.

I'd much rather have the headache of picking up some peanuts then a tree I spent hundreds do dollars on (though a dollar amount really isn't important) be damaged and left with a broken ass tree that will need to be worked on to get it back to what it might have been before shipping, or worse having to try and save it's life.

My vote goes to the use of peanuts if that's what makes the shipping safe.

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Every tree I have ever ordered is packed in peanuts. While aggravating, I can't think of a better way to pack them.

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Every tree I've ever ordered on line has come packaged in peanuts as well... I just don't open them outside...

You say there are better and more cost effective ways of packaging these trees to keep from abreaking branches in transit.... might you offer some suggestions?

goosetown

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ser...seriously?

Um, OK.

First of all, they make boxes - not necessarily designed for shipping trees, but they work perfectly for it - with stabilizers built into the framework. You can anchor a tree by the base (pot, container, etc) AND tether it safely to the supports therein.

Let's pretend those are unavailable everywhere, though. How about...balled-up plastic bags? Balled-up newspaper? Bubble wrap/packing? Any of the multitude of packing implements that aren't Styrofoam peanuts?

I'm not sure who you're ordering from, but this is my fifth or sixth online purchase, most from reputable and known bonsai dealers. Every tree has arrived safe, sound and intact, including this one. However, every other tree was packaged in some less-maddening/polluting material until this one.

Every tree I've ever ordered on line has come packaged in peanuts as well... I just don't open them outside...

You say there are better and more cost effective ways of packaging these trees to keep from abreaking branches in transit.... might you offer some suggestions?

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I think the problem with using things like balled up newspaper and the sorts is that there is still a potential problem of breaking branches. I ship trees all the time and use packing peanuts (and every tree I've ever gotten online has come with packing peanuts), as I've had problems previously with using things like those air pocket bubble wrap things breaking branches. The boxes get tossed around and squeezed tightly, causing the bubble wrap and the sorts to push against the branches and snap them...

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Lots of purchases online for me, almost all were packing peanuts... Or msp in goose talk.

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
As someone who occasionally ships bonsai I'll attempt an answer. First off I don't use stryofoam peanuts, I use the one's that dissolve with water. Sometimes still a pita but easily dealt with especially outside-just get out the hose.
Stabilized boxes are fine to a point, but aren't so readily available in the sizes that we need. They are also expensive- shipping costs themselves are bad enough with having to add 7-15 dollars for a box. And then still have to fill it with peanuts.
Newspaper, plastic, etc. just doesn't hold the tree in place like packed peanuts do. I've seen the way boxes get handled and I want to be sure there is no movement inside the box. For trees in pots I reinforce the bottom and wire the tree to the bottom of the box and pack as many peanuts as I safely can to protect the tree.
None of us want to have to replace a tree because it moved around and broke branches so we do what it takes to make them secure as possible.
It's a bummer it was such a pain to deal with the packaging but to hate someone with the burning fire of 10,000 suns-wow that's harsh.

PS Cryptomeria are not really the best trees for L.A.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Most of my online ordered trees were packed with peanuts as well. A pain but I would take that any day over a potentially damaged tree.

The biggest box I got is a 3' x 3' x 4' inside are 3 pots (1+1+3=5 trees total) and they all arrived safely. I too cannot think of a safer way to ship trees.

If this is that major concern for you, talk to your vendor before buying next time.

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Basically when I have a tree arrive its like Christmas Day. They could pack it in poison ivy and I would still get over it. Sure am glad they use peanuts instead of poison ivy.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I like the peanuts that Bob is talking about, most shippers get extra points with me for using them. Although I've never seen them sent with a plant, as when they get wet they shrink pretty instantly. So I don't know if that's a good idea with a tree that has been watered (sometimes excessively) for shipping that could take a few days.

Here are a couple of pictures of just what can happen to a (large) tree sent in a box. This tree was packed in giant loads of peanuts, and came out of this unscathed. I was amazed. The shipping company (fed-ex) obviously broke the box, and retaped it.... I was expecting major damage. But only one small branch was broken. So the proof is in the pudding.

Attachments

• IMG_2049.jpg
    IMG_2049.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2050.jpg
    IMG_2050.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 16

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I actually prefer getting trees packed in packing peanuts. It's not all that much trouble and they get the job done, but most importanly, they KEEP COSTS down and are safer than more haphazard packing materials.

I've shipped trees myself and had extremely large trees shipped to me (Like over four feet tall) over the years. I've used peanuts and half-assed wadded newspaper and balled up plastic bags to ship trees. I've also had trees shipped to me using this method. I don't really like it.

Those big trees have come in refrigerator boxes and stabilized with wood frames and guy wires. That kind of packing added $100+ to shipping costs.

While I wouldn't want a plant that big shipped in peanuts, using that kind of packing for smaller trees is perfectly fine.

Balled up newspaper and wadded up plastic bags can snap of limbs in transit, acting a fulcrum points or simply by being squashed against a trunk or branch.

Yeah, peanuts are messy, but they can be picked up. Snapped trunks, branches and other stuff can ruin a tree.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Unfortunately, I think the mfsp are a necessary evil because you cannot rely on the shipping companies to use care.

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I like the peanuts that Bob is talking about, most shippers get extra points with me for using them. Although I've never seen them sent with a plant, as when they get wet they shrink pretty instantly. So I don't know if that's a good idea with a tree that has been watered (sometimes excessively) for shipping that could take a few days.

Here are a couple of pictures of just what can happen to a (large) tree sent in a box. This tree was packed in giant loads of peanuts, and came out of this unscathed. I was amazed. The shipping company (fed-ex) obviously broke the box, and retaped it.... I was expecting major damage. But only one small branch was broken. So the proof is in the pudding.

We water the day before without getting the foliage wet then wrap the pots and soil w/ plastic. The foliage is kept dry- so far so good.

Top Bottom