Dear potters of bnut

canoeguide

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'm surprised nobody has made a bag pot with clay or something else filling in the outer part of the pot so that it looks like a bag pot on the outside but looks like a normal round/oval pot on the inside. This would solve the aforementioned breaking during freezing and needing to break the pot to get a rootbound tree out.

They look so damn good!

Reaction score
I'm surprised nobody has made a bag pot with clay or something else filling in the outer part of the pot so that it looks like a bag pot on the outside but looks like a normal round/oval pot on the inside. This would solve the aforementioned breaking during freezing and needing to break the pot to get a rootbound tree out.

They look so damn good!

I have seen those, but can't really remember where. They do look good yeah! Don't be afraid to use 'regular' bag pots tho, if nothing you can still cram the curves full of clay/keto. That will hardly get wet and therefore stays hard so no roots can penetrate. Plus little moisture in there to expand and crack in frost. That's also how those ufo pots work.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I've gotten into the habit of wintering my trees rough, meaning the majority get no temperature protection, at all. In the process, I've learned which species are truly zone 5 hardy, and I have learned even quality pots, like signed Bigei pots (read more than $150 each) are not 100% winter hardy if the shape doesn't let the root ball rise with the expanding soil as it freezes. I lost a nice Bigei bag pot due to freezing. It had a freehand signature. Not just a chop. Bigei is a master of pottery, his pots are fully vitrified. It don't mater, if the shape doesn't let the soil mass rise, the pot will crack.

Best pots the walls slope outwards as they go up. This way, the soil mass just floats up as it freezes.

All trees with good pots go into my frost free well house.

Everything in plastic and properly outward sloping walled pots, they stay on the ground outside for winter.

Top Bottom