Decandle a Pine

Joedes3

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Can someone please give me information about decandling? Are there any videos etc on this? Are all pines decandled?
Thanks
Joe

Alex DeRuiter

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
You know, I honestly don't think this is a topic that has ever even been brought up on the forum.

Just kidding. It's like three threads down from yours. :D

Joedes3

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The other thing I have been trying to find out is, needle plucking. When? Why? How?

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Joe,

I don't mean to be rude, but decandling and needle pulling are discussed in many, many threads. These are techniques for 2 needle pines by the way. Go read through the pines forums and see if you can't find the information you need. Then come back and ask specific questions.

Brian Van Fleet has an excellent PDF tutorial on his site: www.nebaribonsai.com

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Breaking candles is done in spring as candles are elongating, de-candling is done in early summer after needles have hardened off, needle pulling is done from mid to late summer right into the fall and winter. All of these are energy management techniques and need to be applied with the current degree of development of the given tree in mind, along with future design goals.

gergwebber

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I know right? Its like when I write a great (or so I think) reply to something in a thread and realize my main points are debated buffed and polished at length in the following three pages...

Someones have already written those!

maybe we need a page with a collection of the best and most helpful threads with a big heading like: Before you ask that, look through these!

No worries Joedes3, there are some great threads buried very deep here and it is hard to find them if you are new to the site.

Its like any time you get a million google hits and are like !!!yeah I know that one bit of info I need is in here somewhere thank god for algorithms!!!!

Joedes3

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You are correct. That is exactly why I posted the topic.

I know the info is there but sometimes it just doesn't seem clear enough. I have no clue about needle pulling, which is what I really meant to say.
There are some people here that know how explain things very well or know exactly where to go for the info.

You are correct, some of thes things should be placed in threads with BIG headings for future referance.
Thanks again for your reply.

Joe

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
No knock to Brians great write ups, but you can also check to find Hans Von( Van maybe) Meers website, he has a good article written up as well.

Boon also has videos on JBP I believe

Joedes3

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks! Still a bit confused about pulling needles. Probably more afraid that I will pull the wrong needles.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If in doubt as to which needles to pull, don't pull.

Developing pines is a marathon, so if you have to wait while you learn (seek out sources, etc.), wait.

By the way, you never said what kind of pine you have! It matters!

Needle pulling is an advanced technique. It's kinda like... if you have to ask, you don't need to know. Yet.

All that said, a GREAT book to get is the "Pines" book published by Stone Lantern. It takes the "best of" articles from Bonsai Today magazine (which themselves are translations of Japanese bonsai magazine articles), and has it broken down by White Pines and Black Pines. It is the Bible for doing pines. You can get it for about $30 on ebay. Your local bonsai shop probably has it. If they do, buy from them They need the business.

Joedes3

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I believe it is a scots pine. It was a seedling I got at the side of the road in the White Mountains of New Hampshire. I got it before I started with bonsai (about 10 years ago). It has been in a large pot all of this time. The trunk is about 3 inches and the tree is about 5 feet. I am trying to figure this best approach for this tree. Again, moving slowly.

Thanks for the advice. Yes, I am in doubt so I don't pull The one thing I have learned is to back off of things I am not comfortable with.

Joe

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I can't really help you with a Scots pine. It is a two needle pine, I believe, so it would act more like a JBP than a JWP.

The question you should be asking is not "needle pulling", but "Scots pine techniques", (if indeed it is a Scots pine).

Do Scots pines grow on the sides of the road in New Hampshire? I would think they would in Scotland...

Last edited:
Top Bottom