Decandling JBP for the first time

ack

Seedling
Reaction score
Tried my hand at decandling a Japanese Black Pine for the first time this morning. I acquired it last fall from Muranaka's. It was repotted in Feb but root work was minimal and the tree seemed to be showing lots of strength. I wasn't exactly sure about timing for here in AZ (later because of the long growing seasons, or earlier because of more intense summer dormancy?), so figured I'd start with Jonas Dupuich's recommendation (take all new shoots off on June 15, leave about 10 pairs of needles) and go from there.

Here's the tree before:
 JBPbefoe.JPG

Here's what I took off:
JBPremoved.JPG

Here it is after:
JBPafter.JPG

And with a bit of wire:
JBPwithwire.JPG

I accidentally knocked some needles off the upper branch on the right when wiring, hopefully it will be ok. Now it's back to its normal spot on the bench which gets direct sun from about sunrise till noon, then 50% shade.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Replying to these "club threads" make me nervous in a wierd, bout to get shot kinda way.
Lol!
2 fronts. One, the infancy of the "club threads", I think ftp4tp_41tpf , my man with the show threads from the Nader, has Admin capabilities? Is @AZbonsai set up to admin these?
Asking because I approved this one, (you know I got you) don't want you'se to worry it's a problem outside of the link.

Just remember if you're in an emergency situation,
Don't post links, that way it doesn't get held up for approval.

I guess this is even more important in these local threads, where you'se may actually need each other to dig something, soil, water help, got yerself bit by a Diamondback etc...

Don't post links and don't forget to PM as it defaults to generate the recipient an email. (I think, I turned mine off!) So you can get faster contact.

Second front.

You're probly ok, but it's pretty ballsy to go so hard on something you are unfamiliar with.

Plus it didn't necessarily need a full decandling, so I might have just done the top, to test the Jonas theory, which....

I love that you picked a point and did!

The power of positive moves makes me know you'll be rewarded.

You know Phoenix is Commanche for Keen Observation?

I'm bullshitting but if you continue with them this'll be a dope little tree. Better than @Smoke 's in the glazed white pot!

Sorce

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Agree, maybe a bit early, but you did a good job wiring. In the fall, you'll want to wire out the rest.
Did you remove more than just this year’s candles? It looks rather sparse.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Agree, maybe a bit early, but you did a good job wiring. In the fall, you'll want to wire out the rest.
Did you remove more than just this year’s candles? It looks rather sparse.
Yeah, it looks like he pulled needles as well as decandled. While that IS an advanced technique, it’s just that: an advanced technique that is “sometimes” used on well established trees, not so much on trees still in development. Which this one is. Especially considering it was just reported this past spring.

With pines, I’ve found it better to be a bit conservative and do less than be aggressive and do more.

ack

Seedling
Reaction score
Interesting, thanks for the feedback. Yeah, this was just removing this year's growth and then pulling a few pairs of needles on the stronger branches to try to balance density. I didn't pull needles on the weaker branches (except the one I knocked some off by accident while wiring).

I'm just a few years into the hobby and (perhaps over) eager to experiment and learn new techniques!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm just a few years into the hobby and (perhaps over) eager to experiment and learn new techniques!

Nothing is too eager so long as you hold a strong distinction between "learning" techniques, and "applying" techniques.

Experimenting should be reserved for much lesser material!

But these ballers kill imports like Yen is water.

Sorce

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Is @AZbonsai set up to admin these?
No I am not. I did not even know this had been set up until the last PBS meeting. I am glad it is.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I'm confused. I thought that decandling meant breaking some or all of a candle that the needles had not yet extended, and it is used to balance the growth of the tree by limiting strong apical growth in favor of redirecting strength into lower branches or weaker areas. What I see here is having let all the needles extend to initial mature length and then cutting off what are new branches. In my understanding this tree is going to grow little or none this season and will have few or fewer candles next spring. Please critique this tree and correct me, or otherwise instruct me in a better understanding of what is or has or should be done to effect the several ends possible. Thanks.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I'm confused. I thought that decandling meant breaking some or all of a candle that the needles had not yet extended, and it is used to balance the growth of the tree by limiting strong apical growth in favor of redirecting strength into lower branches or weaker areas. What I see here is having let all the needles extend to initial mature length and then cutting off what are new branches. In my understanding this tree is going to grow little or none this season and will have few or fewer candles next spring. Please critique this tree and correct me, or otherwise instruct me in a better understanding of what is or has or should be done to effect the several ends possible. Thanks.
That understanding is wrong. Decandling is done in summer on JBP and JRP, removing all of this years' growth back to its base. Do it about 100 days before your first frost date. This will prompt a second flush of growth, from the location of the cuts, usually with multiple buds where a single one once was. These bud will result in smaller candles, and due to the shortened growing season, shorter needles.

Top Bottom