Deciduous Autumn Trimming

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Do you do it?

Why?

Do you think its unsafe to leave open cuts over winter?

Do you wait till spring?

What?

(I'm talking about trimming fine branches that are too long, not making big cuts....especially in reference to Hornbeam and Crape Myrtle.)

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Sure, it is okay if you don't wait too long after leaf drop, just prune sparingly.
Structural (or big branch) pruning may also be okay within two or three weeks after leaf drop as long as temperatures are staying above 40F/5C and will stay there for the following 10 to 15 days, IMHO.
Likewise, this is also a good time to wire most deciduous - thin branches are pliable now (generally speaking) and will 'lignify' by spring. Then, you can remove the wire and do some 'clean up' pruning before leaves are out.

Oh, YES, I do it. ;)

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Sure, it is okay if you don't wait too long after leaf drop, just prune sparingly.
Structural (or big branch) pruning may also be okay within two or three weeks after leaf drop as long as temperatures are staying above 40F/5C and will stay there for the following 10 to 15 days, IMHO.
Likewise, this is also a good time to wire most deciduous - thin branches are pliable now (generally speaking) and will 'lignify' by spring. Then, you can remove the wire and do some 'clean up' pruning before leaves are out.

Oh, YES, I do it. ;)
Interesting take 0so...thanks!

I will say that I've heard people speak ill of wiring in fall, because you may cause damage the the branch that won't be able to heal all winter and may cause dieback....similar to the argument against pruning, I guess.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I will say that I've heard people speak ill of wiring in fall, because you may cause damage the the branch that won't be able to heal all winter and may cause dieback....similar to the argument against pruning, I guess.
I will say that I grew up among people who believed copper bracelets cured their arthritis.
I don't buy that either.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have just spent most of the weekend trimming. We have calm, dry fall weather without any deep frost for the next weeks. As the plants are still putting nutrients away (Foliage is not extensively dropping) there is loads of activity that can seal small cuts, as far as I am concerned.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Do you do it?

Why?

Do you think its unsafe to leave open cuts over winter?

Do you wait till spring?

What?

(I'm talking about trimming fine branches that are too long, not making big cuts....especially in reference to Hornbeam and Crape Myrtle.)
This is highly dependent on where you are. I would be very hesitant to do much hard pruning in fall around here. If we get a hard winter, big pruning wound will die back, a little on some species, ALOT on others.

Be cautious, opt for conservative cuts and not trunk chops or large limbs...

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
This is highly dependent on where you are. I would be very hesitant to do much hard pruning in fall around here. If we get a hard winter, big pruning wound will die back, a little on some species, ALOT on others.

I'm more thinking of small branches, less than 1/4" diameter of, many cases smaller than 1/8".

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score

Agreed! I barely do anything to my trees save a small branch/twig here and there until late winter or early spring. Very, very tempting but I would not recommend it in climates with long and frigid winters.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Agreed! I barely do anything to my trees save a small branch/twig here and there until late winter or early spring. Very, very tempting but I would not recommend it in climates with long and frigid winters.
Thanks for chiming in M5!
The high quality be of your deciduous collection makes me value your opinion that much more, sir.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thanks for chiming in M5!
The high quality be of your deciduous collection makes me value your opinion that much more, sir.

Sure no worries. I broke my own rule two winters ago and decided to wire a few maples in January for fear of not getting to them in spring due to a very hectic schedule. I lost many of the branches that were wired. I always say leave them alone, and then see them again with fresh eyes in early spring. In my experience by far the safest time to do anything to maples.

Bananaman

Chumono
Reaction score
I will say that I grew up among people who believed copper bracelets cured their arthritis.
I don't buy that either.
As a 63 year old arthritis sufferer in both elbows, I can tell you that after about three years of doctor visits and drugs, nothing worked. Guy told me to try the copper. I did. Can’t make It without it now. Did the trick. Took them off for a week just to make sure and lie and behold it was back within that week. Put the copper back on and whammo, pain gone.

Do what you want but I swear by this shit. There’s a reason the Greeks and Romans wore copper around their arms, now I know why.
A0E4ED68-A6F7-49EF-8BA6-4FD2C03748E8.jpegBB0D37A0-B1D8-4472-8311-8B291A2359E0.jpeg

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
As a 63 year old arthritis sufferer in both elbows, I can tell you that after about three years of doctor visits and drugs, nothing worked. Guy told me to try the copper. I did. Can’t make It without it now. Did the trick. Took them off for a week just to make sure and lie and behold it was back within that week. Put the copper back on and whammo, pain gone.

Do what you want but I swear by this shit. There’s a reason the Greeks and Romans wore copper around their arms, now I know why.
View attachment 216304View attachment 216305
Can I get some for my knees and back???!
I'll walk around in a copper suit of armor all day ....

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

View attachment 216304View attachment 216305
Is this serious or you just being bad man?

Bananaman

Chumono
Reaction score
Nothing wrong just want to make sure you not kidding. Very interesting...
If “I” take the time to write a post at this place that would rather argue with everything, you can take what I have to say to the bank. I don’t bullshit about my life nor my trees. What you see is what you get, unlike many here. Talkin the talk and never walkin the walk.

I have nothing more to share about copper touching my body. I just know that within two weeks all my pain was gone and when taken off as a test it came back within a week and upon copper back on was gone as quick.

Just like me what I do in Bonsai, all I can do is post what works for me. If you wish to duplicate what I do then you have to try it. If it works for you “your welcome”. If it doesn’t work for you, sorry, move on to another idea from someone else, unless like me you wish to inovate on your own, which I advocate highly.

Cheers

Top Bottom