Deciduous Azaleas

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi everyone, I was wondering If there are any deciduous azalea varieties that make good bonsai? I know most azalea bonsai are Japanese evergreen varieties. Does anyone have an example of these native azaleas as bonsai? Im asking because I picked up a couple with decent trunks at very a seasonable price.
I'll try and post pictures soon.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm not certain. Just read something that says all evergreen azaleas are in the subgenus azaleastrum and are native Asia.

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Jeremy is right, most evergreen azaleas lose some portion of their leaves in the winter. I have one that loses all but just the three or four surrounding the bud, others, not many at all. I have not seen any deciduous (native) azaleas used as bonsai, I had some that grew on a piece of property that I used to have and they did not appear to have the qualities to make a decent bonsai---the leaves were too big, long internodes, etc. Not saying it can't or hasn't been done, I would just spend the effort on something else.

John

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I've read the same about deciduous azaleas as John said.
But I almost bought one with orange flowers last year....was very tempting, just too small.
And as also stated, by Jerry, most "evergreen" azaleas will lose some leaves over winter...
I have two in my front yard, both are "evergreens" but one turns mostly red in fall and the other turns mostly yellow.
I think most of the leaves that change color do fall off eventually....but some stay.
And the newest leaves stay green all year.
I'm keeping two as prebonsai in my garage this winter, for the first time, so far the satsuki hybrid is still totally green, and the Girard's Crimson is beginning to turn a darker color....
Azaleas are awesome!
My garden azaleas led me to my path to bonsai, can't wait to get my hands on a nice one some day.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Pretty much agree with @Mellow Mullet here- he is a good source for azalea info certainly! The indigenous ones I have seen all have large waxy leaves and long internodes, the blooms come on in big clunky clusters too which might look good in a garden, but on my Bonsai bench I feel would be out of proportion

augustine

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
My fellow club members and I are great fans of azalea and go lots of places to dig them from landscapes. Definitely try them if leaves are on small size, as your are. Repot into a good substrate, enjoy a few flowers in spring and start cutting back. Normally all of them backbud like gangbusters.

Give em a try. If they don't turn out well plant them in yours or someone's yard. Azaleas are pretty easy to grow. They like light shade, acid conditions and fertilizer.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Actually, most that have responded, live in fairly mild climates, and talked about Satsuki types. For those of us with USDA zone 5, 4 or 3 winters, the deciduous azaleas may be worth exploring. The 'Northern Lights' series of deciduous azaleas are able to survive a - 30 F ( - 35 C) winter and still bloom in spring. The Northern Lights series came out of University of Minnesota Agriculture program. The North American native species of deciduous azalea, and their hybrids tend to be fragrant, and super winter hardy. Foliage tends to tufts at the end of long branches. This habit is more difficult to work with than traditionally used for bonsai varieties. Probably not impossible to work with, but more difficult. Biggest issue will be getting short internodes. Probably have to let it grow out, then cut back removing all but one internode of new growth for each year. This type of pruning may mean no flowers most year while in training, but I think it could be done. Many trees like maples will have branches, where the first internode is short, then the next is too long, and to train you have to be brutal in your pruning. But once the basic structure is set, I think they will be lovely, and good bonsai. The Northern Lights types should probably be used for larger size bonsai, over 24 inches tall, (over 60 cm tall) because the larger size will mean the naturally long internodes will be more in scale.

I had a 'Mandarin Lights' from the Northern Lights series. I loved the flowers, fragrance and the fact that it lived all winter simply set on the ground in the shade for the winter. I'm between Chicago and Milwaukee, our winters can be brutal. I lost it one summer when I was on vacation. Have not replaced it yet, it was still in a nursery pot, had not progressed very far with it.

You should just pick up any of the deciduous azaleas you like and give them a try. I do not recall ever seeing a photo of them being used as bonsai, but that should not stop you. @Underdog - is that white azalea one of the 'Northern Lights'? You did not note the name of it. Looking good for a young, early in training plant.

@BonsaiButler - Yes, I am encouraging people to try the North American deciduous azalea series of hybrids, but I noticed you are in Corvallis, Oregon. Your climate is mild enough you can grow some really tender sub tropical Rhododendrons. Satsuki are hardy enough, it is unlikely you would need to protect them much, UNLESS you are at high elevation. But if you are in a mild winter area, you can use Satsuki azalea.

All azaleas are in the genus Rhododendron. There is no ''bright line'' separating azalea type species from Rhododendron type species. There are species intermediate between the two. The distinction between the two is a 19th century taxonomy convention that has been abandoned in modern taxonomy. There is a very complete knowledge base for creating bonsai from the classical azalea type species and hybrids, R. indicum being the main species with a mix of a dozen or so other species to make the Satzuki type hybrids. With some adjustments to differences in growth habits, any of the Rhododendrons with smaller leaves can be used for bonsai. At least in theory. The only Rhododendrons I have had long enough to deserve a bonsai pot are from the Satsuki series of hybrids, so this paragraph is "internet speculation", not a report of hands on experience. I have seen photos of Rhododendron dauricum as bonsai, posted here on BNut, forgot who the original poster was. R. dauricum is one parent of the common landscape plant Rhododendron 'PJM', and has much smaller leaves than PJM. from the photos, it was quite nice as bonsai. There are near or over 1000 species of Rhododendron, and I wager at least one third would make acceptable bonsai, and of course the Satsuki series of species and hybrids make world class bonsai.

As I am an orchid grower, I had a passing fascination with Vireya type Rhododendrons. They are tropical, epiphytic azaleas, some with spectacular flowers. For me R. (Vireya) pauciflorum really had good potential, small leaves, compact growth habit and really cool vivid red bell shaped flowers that dangled downward, flowering off and on all year round. The Vireya konorii type species have gigantic leaves, and were really not at all good for bonsai, but there are probably 50 or so species (out of the 150+ Vireya type species) in the Vireya group of Rhododendrons that have smaller leaves and growth habits that would make bonsai possible. Sadly the same ''vacation induced drought'' that killed my Northern Lights azalea took out my Vireya pauciflorum, so the experiment was never completed.

I searched my photos for 5 minutes, could not find pictures of my plants R pauciflorum nor R Mandarin Lights. I know I have photos somewhere, but don't have the time now to dig deep and find them.

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Last edited:

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice! Looks like dwarf rhododendron.

its sold as rhododendron azalea japonica it should have red flowers i have two of them bought them some time ago after watching John geangel his video's on YouTube

going to repot them coming spring and chop them down if you like i could make some more pics tomorow

Hack Yeah!

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
How fast do native azaleas grow/thicken? I did one from my landscape and was looking to make a raft style from all new growth

Lazylightningny

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I have an Exbury azalea that is completely deciduous. The leaves are considerably bigger than the Japanese varieties. It's still very much in the development stage so I don't know yet if, or how much the leaves will reduce.

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a few acres that are covered in wild Azalea (Pacific). They are shrubs and don't really form a tree like trunk. With the help of the yearly snowfall they form sprawling bushes above ground. After long consideration and investigation I believe that what is of most interest in this species is not in what you see, but rather in what you can't see growing below the surface.
I have yet to dig any of them, but I have seen some that were uprooted during the logging. If collected properly I can see some nice exposed root cascades or running raft style bonsai. The roots providing the main character of the composition and not relying too much on trunk development.
I plan to install a pond in the area so most Azalea will be dug out in the spring. I hope to pot as many as I can and begin to explore the species.
There's also rhododendron, which is a larger shrub with pink flowers. I don't find these as appealing, though there's always possibility. I've never seen bonsai of either of these native species, but I'm going to try the smaller Azalea and see what can be done.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have an Exbury azalea that is completely deciduous. The leaves are considerably bigger than the Japanese varieties. It's still very much in the development stage so I don't know yet if, or how much the leaves will reduce.
What size are the leaves? Seen one at the nursery that made me go...Hm-mmm completely deciduous. So no clue on leaf size.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
[QUOTE="Leo in N E Illinois, Foliage tends to tufts at the end of long branches. This habit is more difficult to work with than traditionally used for bonsai varieties. Probably not impossible to work with, but more difficult.
[/QUOTE]

The one I seen...if ground layered could be a clump. But one main taller branch was exactly as you mentioned. The lower had ramification already beginning. But...if the trunk of each grew...and created the topiary look. It could be a bust. The more I thought in this...I am going to pass. Thanks!

Top Bottom