Deciduous conifers

Joe2758

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In what way are baldcypress and larch like conifers in how they are trained for bonsai, and in what way are they like typical deciduous? How do Ginkgo (whatever they are) fit in?

Wondering in terms of repotting/root pruning tolerance, healing ability, and method of training (e.g. best suited for clip and grow, can or can't trunk chop, will or won't backbud, must leave a pruning stub, can or can't prune to bare wood.. etc).

More specifically:
I grew these from seed, so I can start anywhere. I am most interested in mame, and even super mini, but I'll put some in the ground for medium size. Seedling cuttings? Cut tap root after a year? Cut just the very tip of the tap root? Some I'll bend the trunk with wire young, some I'll do "bend and grow," some I'll put in the ground. What are the classic methods? What are interesting methods? How is branching created, how much branching should I aim for? "always xxx" or "never XXX?"

I am most familiar with how maples, elms, shrubs, and ficus behave; so comparisons to those would be very helpful.

Thanks, I am hoping to cut down on too much experimenting and time wasting (no comment on growing seeds being a waste of time necessary).

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Of the species you mention I'm most familiar with ginkgo.
Gingko act far more like deciduous than conifers in that root pruning is no problem, bare root no problem and they will sprout new shoots from bare trunks so trunk chops are no problem either. As it is a natural upright growing species I've only used wire to move branches a little.
The big difference is that scars heal VERY slowly.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
no comment on growing seeds being a waste of time necessary

Sounds like Facebook Talk!

Welcome to Crazy!

People who AREN'T starting seeds are wasting more than their selfish time.

Whoever told you that should choke on a seed, although, if they were from FB they're probably already choking on so much more!

The only thing listed that could certainly go Mame is elm. Some may be possible...

But I reckon these, BC, Larch, Ginkgo, are better created a bit larger. Definitely BC.

It's important to note that every question under "more specifically" is possible, every yes or no creating a different final product. So answering them is basically telling you what you like. That should be impossible.

Once you have a level of health in tree, and a level of patience in self.....Everything works, except making Mame out of trees whose fronds alone are larger than Mame, most of the time.

Sorce

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Bald cypress also seem to be "broad-leaf-like" in their tolerance for sever root pruning, and easy back-budding.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Bald cypress is an unusual species. It is related to redwood. It is long lived (oldest trees in the Eastern U.S. are bald cypress in Black Water Refuge in NC) and grows vigorously. It can be aggressively trunk chopped and can take root reduction of almost 100 percent at the same time--done at the right time of year. It will recover quickly if given very moist soil. Best trees to use are typically collected more mature trees that have developed root flare and ridging on their nebari and lower trunk.

Joe2758

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks, exactly the sorts of tidbits I'm looking for

Top Bottom