Deciduous Deadwood

JustinD

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Greetings good people!

I am looking for some advice on deciduous deadwood care. This is an old azalea (20+) from a landscaping reno that I have been reducing over the last few years. I don't want to use Sulphur due to the whitening; the only other thing I can find "specifically" for bonsai is a product in the UK, but I'm suspicious. Will regular wood preserver be ok to use? Second question - should I clean this up or carve it out before treating? Thanks in advance!

MikesAzalea.jpg

JustinD

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The bottom half of the tree has a shari-like old wound around half of it. Below the first branch to the ground

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Awesome, thank you!
I would recommend PC Petrifier, once you've got it cleaned up and the color you want. This product is water-based, which means you don't have the risk of affecting the plant with a hydrocarbon solvent. PC Petrifier can be bought off of Amazon. Highly recommended.

JustinD

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I would recommend PC Petrifier, once you've got it cleaned up and the color you want. This product is water-based, which means you don't have the risk of affecting the plant with a hydrocarbon solvent. PC Petrifier can be bought off of Amazon. Highly recommended.
Wonderful, thank you!

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Alot of folks use cyanoacrylate (superglue) as a deadwood protectant. Some also use a marine grade varnish.

I found that cyanoacrylate (superglue) will turn cloudy after a couple years, ends up looking like a plastic sheet melted to the tree, then fogging up and peeling away.

From a paint department in a big box store, boiled linseed oil actually works well. Penetrates wood, and is a natural water proofing oil, and being a natural product, is non-toxic to the tree. It does weather away, needs to be re-applied every 2 to 5 years depending on weather. Wood will get dry looking when it is time to re-apply. Linseed oil is the base for Thompsons Weatherproofing deck stain. With out the pricy add ons and without any color additives.

The PC Petrifier is a good product also. Lasts longer. Different chemistry.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Greetings good people!

I am looking for some advice on deciduous deadwood care. This is an old azalea (20+) from a landscaping reno that I have been reducing over the last few years. I don't want to use Sulphur due to the whitening; the only other thing I can find "specifically" for bonsai is a product in the UK, but I'm suspicious. Will regular wood preserver be ok to use? Second question - should I clean this up or carve it out before treating? Thanks in advance!

View attachment 347760
Oooh! I like that!

🤓

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just to add to my PC Petrifier recommendation, I have trees that I treated about four or five years ago and the treated dead wood is still solid as a rock. No discoloration either. As those of you who work with deciduous trees know, this is a big deal.

JustinD

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thank you HorseLover! It is one of my first and dearest.

Now I think I have no other choice but to do both the PC and BLO, and another candidate for a fun experiment

Top Bottom