Deciduous holly sex?

Rid

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Here's the update. You can't really see a lot of difference in the top but there is better ramification there. I did turn the pot to its other side. I think it's a little more interesting.
View attachment 179038
Great tree, i have one growing in the ground that has the exact same little bump at the bottom of the trunk. i like how yours blends in with the trunk as it moves to the right.

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Update. The top is developing well. The second pic is from 2016. I didn't let it berry in 2017.

Attachments

• IMG_3593.jpg
    IMG_3593.jpg
    279.8 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_2650.JPG
    IMG_2650.JPG
    235.9 KB · Views: 56

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Well a little bad news and a little good news. Repotted it this spring .........not such good results. Not totally sure but I may have been to aggressive with root pruning. They have a very microfiberous root system that I thought would be just fine. The good news it that I can start redesigning into "something completely different". I do enjoy the challenge and relish the knowledge gained. Life is an opportunity just waiting to happen!

Attachments

• IMG_3787.jpg
    IMG_3787.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 42

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Just wire up a new leader and let it grow unpruned for a couple of years. I was actually going to recommend doing that with your old apex (allowing a sacrifice branch to grow freely on the old apex). That deadwood/shari at the base had me worried. It wasn't healing over, which meant the old apex wasn't thickening and was not as strong as it should have been.

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Just wire up a new leader and let it grow unpruned for a couple of years. I was actually going to recommend doing that with your old apex (allowing a sacrifice branch to grow freely on the old apex). That deadwood/shari at the base had me worried. It wasn't healing over, which meant the old apex wasn't thickening and was not as strong as it should have been.
I have thought of that. One problem is that they are very, very basal and don't like growing up but rather putting out running suckers. The top that was there barely grew at all. There are lower wounds that aren't visible in the photo which are in the same state where the tree is more vigorous. Some trees just don't heal well...this may be one. I may choose to do just what you say, however there may be something else in there less conventional.o_O I'll probably trim the lower branches way back in the spring, put it in a deeper pot and see what happens. It will make itself evident.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I have a yaupon holly that is a little temperamental in how/when you trim it. It suffers weak branch die-back if you aren't careful about balancing strength. Your plan is more or less what I would do if faced with a similar situation - deeper pot, let it get strong, suppress the lower branches.

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
So here is my solution......maybe!!

This tree had many wounds on the former apex and choosing where to cut it off was difficult. Mostly because of I would be adding another large wound and it doesn’t really heal quickly. I made the cut lower than I had to, removing the healthy front branch. This consolidated everything into one wound. The wound was treated with marine epoxy as the wood is quick to rot.
As you can see a made a thread graft and an approach graft to create a new apex. I have a little more confidence in the approach as it’s a much stronger scion and has a future front branch already growing.
I think I see a semi cascade in the future design due to the abbreviated height. It will make itself evident. 6E2469D3-15B1-4A60-914D-678E225A4598.jpegA9D468AC-FD2E-4A9D-A51B-B28B526ECF41.jpeg

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Do you expect to wind up carving that wound? Even if it gets covered over by new bark, I expect that it will look different than the bark on the trunk below. Seems troublesome to me, so my mind is immediately going to thoughts of changing the front so this won't be visible. Then, which of these grafts do I want to keep (if both 'take')? Then where do I want to steer this trunk extension (need to be sure the tree isn't recoiling in horror from me/you/one)?

The good news is you are the artist. I'm just a critic sitting in my PJs 😁

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Do you expect to wind up carving that wound? Even if it gets covered over by new bark, I expect that it will look different than the bark on the trunk below. Seems troublesome to me, so my mind is immediately going to thoughts of changing the front so this won't be visible. Then, which of these grafts do I want to keep (if both 'take')? Then where do I want to steer this trunk extension (need to be sure the tree isn't recoiling in horror from me/you/one)?

The good news is you are the artist. I'm just a critic sitting in my PJs 😁
I actually carved it already...shoulda taken a close up photo. That wound probably won't heal..at least in my lifetime. You could be right about changing the front👍👍. I think the approach graft will be better for the future and just noticed that opportunity this morning. I said, "hmmm I'll try that."

My design approach is, "it's really stupid the way it is and I have to make a bold move"!! I'm not a very good planner for having this all worked out. That's not really fun for me. I like to watch it grow and eventually I'll see it. After all it's a great plant...it still flowers, gets berries and most of all keeps me thinking.

Top Bottom