Deep pots

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
It seems deep pots are out of favor nowadays. I was looking at some old Japanese paintings, and deep, round, decorated pots were pretty common back a couple hundred years or so. I bring this up because I found a nice round pot about 8" in diameter and 8" high with blue Japanese scenery. It was $2 at a thrift store, so I bought it and drilled a drain hole in it. I have a pomegranate waiting to go into it this spring. I like deeper pots both for the looks and for a moisture buffer for our hot climate with long summers. I'm also experimenting with deeper concrete pots as they are a bit easier to make than rectangular ones. Oh, and did I mention it cost 2 dollars?! :D

.unnamed - 2021-12-24T094852.531.jpg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Very nice. I love antique Chinese crockery. For bonsai, however (and I am trying to not be dogmatic here), I usually find that a deep pot overwhelms the tree. Unless it is a very large-trunked specimen then most often it ends up looking like a patio plant to me. Not to say yours will not turn out to be an excellent pairing, just my commentary on the idea in general.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The shallow pot is a pretty cool stunt tho. Clearly one does not "do bonsai" unless they have a touch of the masochist in them. I mean, if you are going to use deep pots, what is to stop you from just having a tree planted in the ground with a healthy tap root? CHAOS WOULD REIGN!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
(Also yeah I bought a couple ornate chinese tea bowls that look cool but seem to have "poor proportions")

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
The defense would like to enter exhibits #1 and #2 into evidence, your Honor. ;)

Walter Pall alluded to the fact that people get used to a certain style and that becomes the norm and other, older styles become less appealing. Bottom line: You should practice bonsai the way you enjoy. I have absolutely no interest in the newest automobile technology.........lane assist, cross traffic warning, blind spot monitoring, etc. Not bad, just not my thing. I would love to buy a car with roll up windows, manual locks and a CD player so I can tool along listening to Eric Clapton and The Allman Bros. I know.....I'm a dinosaur, but T. Rex was a pretty gnarly dude!

1640365443552.png

1640365758381.png

Top Bottom