Deep Sea Diver’s 2020 - 25 Azalea contest entry

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Nice flowers, was that bottom one solid pink?

@sorce or @Bonsai Nut could either of you move this thread into the azalea contest, thanks

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Yep! Many “type” Satsukis do that. There are several branches that are throwing base colors, white and red.
Gotta tag these for the future when pruning. If you don’t watch out the tree will be dominated by these.
Cheers
DSD sends

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
My contest Kikusui is crawling outward. Slow grower it seems 😉
Plan to do a bit of slicing and dicing after 3/4 of the flowers are done blooming. Trimming weak branches, marking and keeping a few solid color branches, removing remaining buds.
Sadly this may be the last time this satsuki produces flowers except onesy twosy, for a couple years... luckily I have another to look at!
Cheers
DSD sends
E926936F-43AE-458D-969D-7F4F690B5450.jpeg

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
That’s an awesome question!

After watching Peter Warren claim there is no style for satsuki I am perplexed.

When I get on my hands and knees in a week or so, and get a better look under the hood, I make some initial decisions. My first thought after looking at the other one which is potted up, that whatever it ends up to be it’s gonna be smallish!

best
DSD sends

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
That’s an awesome question!

After watching Peter Warren claim there is no style for satsuki I am perplexed.

When I get on my hands and knees in a week or so, and get a better look under the hood, I make some initial decisions. My first thought after looking at the other one which is potted up, that whatever it ends up to be it’s gonna be smallish!

best
DSD sends
You cares what he says in a video. It's your tree style it to your liking.

Harunobu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
The point is that with many species, the natural habit of ancient trees of that species should be emulated. No such constraint can ever be put on azalea as there are no ancient azalea trees. It is all artificial. You will find that (Japanese) satsuki (bonsai) are quite stylized, in general. But every now and then you see the oddball designs. And it does not go against any dogma as there is none.

Of course DSD is right that a lot depends on what kind of branch structure is there under the foliage. I wouldn't worry too much about keeping a solid coloured branch, unless you really want to make sure you have one in 5 years. If you prune it, you may or may not get a new one within 5 years. But eventually, another one will come. I like the foliage. Reminds me of 'Matsunami' a bit.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Ok, creaping closer to the final cut! Down to 4 branches.... Pretty much around the clock at 11, 9, 6, 2 o’clock. The question is who is gonna go next? The options are a three brancher, which will give a couple tiers of pads fairly quick, as I’m gonna go 2-2-2 to the ends of the remaining branches to keep the flow going and still get good back budding.... or down to 2 which would simplify things, but might limit future design options.

At this point, I don’t plan on potting this guy for at least a couple years. I’m going to wait and see how much extra boost the ground will give me. So it’s awkward laying horizontal hands and elbows work, but I’m thinking this may be worth it in the long run... or not!

Still got to do some knife work to smooth the cuts off...

I’ll be pondering for a couple days. In the interim any thoughts, prayers or other input will be most welcome. 😉
Best, DSD sends
B299E761-D9AF-4196-B6FD-E3A9D1BECBD9.jpeg A733A14F-44DA-4CCE-94DF-5568599D8391.jpeg

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
The second pic you posted shows a decent size whorl above the base. What's your plans to deal with that?

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Very good question! It’s pretty obvious that the spoke branches in that area have had their way with the trunk😉!

Can’t see chopping below and restarting because of it and air layering anything appears out of the question.

At this point my thought is that maybe
if enough of the cuttings I took
strike I can address this flaw in the out years. (Something - cuttings I recommend everyone do with their contest entry.)

Also I can’t just change horses in midstream, it just wouldn’t be cricket!

Any innovative thoughts folks?

So right now it’s gonna be a case of....Love the one you are with 😊!

Rockin!
DSD sends

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
That’s the best and easiest answer. Thank you.

Today I’ve been wondering if the branches I cut back below three of the existing branches will cause these branches to die off.

In that case it’s ride the remaining branch on to success😎!

Cheers
DSD sends

Harunobu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Nah, I think the bulge has some character, while ugly. Use what you have. I think I would create a fan out of those branches. They look like they are in a plane, right? Grow it so it is a bulge and then a fan of branches, with flowers on top, coming out. Completely artificial, but maybe cool to try. The first picture would be a possible front.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks, another option. That is an innovative idea!

OK, at this point, I'm going to reduce to twos above those branches to get some back budding. I'll take some more morning cuttings along the way, might come in handy for nebari improvers. Then let the satsuki grow to see what happens to all those branches.

If anyone else comes up with a different idea, please don't hesitate to send it in. :cool:

I've still got a couple satsuki blooming. Taiho just started and Issho no haru is blasting away. This unknown to me azalea has bloomed spectacularly, but is fading rapidly due to the continual on and off rainfall we've been having.

I'll post more when I have something to report.

Thank you all!
DSD sends

Azalea.Front.Late.June.JPG

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
An update on this little contest Satsuki. I ground styled after the last pruning.
Back budding well so far!

At this rate I may keep it in the ground for a couple more years, hmm...

cheers
DSD sends
A9ADD4A6-02BA-4691-BC91-12EC8B7ADFC5.jpegF10AEB45-2320-4B0D-A73F-24258226DFEF.jpeg

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What are you feeding it? Is it in a grow bed with a particular mix, or just garden soil mate? Mine is in ordinary garden soil and they grow to slow to my liking....then again I haven't been feeding them up to now. Wish I had enough kanuma to fill a big hole and leave it in there for a few years.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
All of the satsukis' and kurumes I have in the ground (likely 30+ after last springs plant a thon) are in a 60/20/10/10 small bark/chunky peat/composted manure/soil mix. Mostly all are planted above the surface as there is a clay layer close to the surface.

We give them mostly fish fertilizer/humic acid and CalMag when I'm ambitious, when I'm not its mostly just fish fertilizer or once in a blue moon when I run out of brown juice, MiracleGro for acid loving plants.

Once a year we have to beat the older ones down with a stick, or they'll take over.

best
DSD sends

Top Bottom