Deer problem!

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
A couple nights ago the local deer population thought my trees looked pretty tasty. The result was a fine job of leaf trimming. I'm not too upset because all of my trees are just growing out right now, and it's late enough in the season that it is unlikely that it will spur more growth. But once I have some nicer trees could be quite a problem. Is there anyone out there that have some good advice on how to keep deer away?

An old gardner recommended that I string fishing line between some posts around my garden and trees. When the deer come up to the fishing line they can feel it but not see it and it freaks them out. If they are running when they hit it they just crash through and no real damage is done. He said it was the only thing that he's found that works.

Does anyone have any other thoughts or ideas?

Attachments

• 20130907_164549.jpg
    20130907_164549.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 63
  • 20130907_164556.jpg
    20130907_164556.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 61

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I spray

I spray the area surrounding near any trees with Liquid Fence. The scent detected by humans goes away in about a day. After that day, the taste and scent remains for animals and they has no desire to go to my areas. It's worked for me in West Michigan with a huge deer population and plenty of other creatures. I have some ground growing trees and I spray the Liquid Fence right on the trees (American Elms and Hawthorns)....and the deer stay away for months. I spray three times a year. Spring at bud time, early to mid summer and then lastly near the end of the year to keep winter munching down to zero. A sprayed area lasts through the rains for about 3 months and during that time the deer "learn or remember" not to go there. They just find a new path and avoid the sprayed areas.

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Get a bow and shoot them. Cheap meat and safe plants.

Its a thought but I don't think my other half would be too keen on the idea.

Let the deer do the pruning and branch ramification for you ;)

If they were growing out in a field this probably isn't a bad idea but I want to have a little more control over the growth.

The spray is more what I was looking for but keep more ideas coming.

HumbleTrees

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
a dog. Most grange supply stores will have the powders or preditor urin to deter the deer. Any place that caters to out door pot growers will have them as well.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Farm supply places sell decent hardwood stakes inexpensive -3,4,5 foot etc. Stake out a parameter and staple a single length of fishing line to it. If they are coming that close to your house they are hungry and cautious, probably not running. Simple and no need to re-spray when it rains. ;)

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Human urine works too. Buy a case of beer and let nature take its course!

That just reminded me of the scene in Doc Hollywood where Michael J Fox and Julie Warner are running around peeing on everything to keep the deer away. I may need to try that just to make my neighbors wonder.

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That just reminded me of the scene in Doc Hollywood where Michael J Fox and Julie Warner are running around peeing on everything to keep the deer away. I may need to try that just to make my neighbors wonder.

Just do it after the sun goes down!!!

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A friend of mine has these little black canisters(about the size of a tuna can) that he fills with blood meal. He swears by it.

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
At this property we have a LOT of Whitetail Deer traffic but they seem to be content eating whatever they can from the orchard, corn/soy field, and timothy hay. They actually will walk within 20 feet of us a few times a year as do the turkeys.
The Sprays that were mentioned were applied as directed by the adjoining garden the neighbor has and he said it was like burning money - they eat at his place every night. He is going to try the fish line next year as season is folding up here soon. For the record he spent 130usd this Summer and it just did not work. The blood meal sounds interesting but I find it odd as it has no odor that I can sense...

Grimmy

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Simple and no need to re-spray when it rains. ;)
I like the "line" idea....hoping I don't keep running into it myself. My experience...The spray, once dried after application, lasts after many rains and snowstorms. It doesn't wash away easily...not in my experience using it for trees and our garden deer-buffet of flowers, fruit trees and vegetables remain protected.

The spray works particularly well on my Eastern White Pines growing from seedlings out on the property. Pines sprayed are about 5-6' tall now. Trees sprayed in November last through the winter without deer nibbling off all the buds. The buds are like candy to them I guess. Trees without spray...no buds left come spring.

Last edited:

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Iimagine if I sprayed the wood bench it would soak in and not really washed away easily.

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The spray works particularly well on my Eastern White Pines growing from seedlings out on the property. Pines sprayed are about 5-6' tall now. Trees sprayed in November last through the winter without deer nibbling off all the buds. The buds are like candy to them I guess. Trees without spray...no buds left come spring.

Just curious, are you growing the eastern white pine bonsai? I'm considering starting some native Pines from seed this coming spring specifically for bonsai. I figure its a steep learning curve but it's worth a shot.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Just curious, are you growing the eastern white pine bonsai? I'm considering starting some native Pines from seed this coming spring specifically for bonsai. I figure its a steep learning curve but it's worth a shot.

Not really for bonsai. The pines are generally for our pine forest. However, because they are field planted they are an open invitation for the deer to consume the buds...especially during the winter months. The Eastern White Pines grow quickly...well in the field anyway. They seem stagnant for a couple of years then take off with growth.

Top Bottom