Defining Scroll Styles (The Informal Style)

kakejiku

Chumono
Reaction score
upload_2016-6-29_18-25-9.png

Because of their simple design, and (usually) use of only one cloth, the Sou style or Informal scrolls are the easiest to utilize when setting up a display with a bonsai. The sample on the left is called Maru Hyougu. It is commonly seen in use with Japanese framers. The one on the right is called Fukuro Hyougu. It is very simple and elegant. Sometimes horizontal suji are attached to these scrolls as well.

Now...can you go back in the thread Reverse engineering and determine which scrolls styles you see? Good exercise to refine your eyes and determining formality when evaluating displays.

Attachments

• upload_2016-6-29_18-24-42.png
    upload_2016-6-29_18-24-42.png
    9.2 KB · Views: 4

kakejiku

Chumono
Reaction score
If you did go back to look, you will see one Gyou no Shin (Yamato Hyougu style), One Gyou no Gyou, and the remainder are Informal scroll styles.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Interesting. Are these types used with a particular style of tree or display?

Sorry if thats a stupid question. I havent even begun to think about learning display elements at this point. I need a tree I can display first!

kakejiku

Chumono
Reaction score
Interesting. Are these types used with a particular style of tree or display?

Sorry if thats a stupid question. I havent even begun to think about learning display elements at this point. I need a tree I can display first!

It is not a stupid question. It was actually the key to help me learn about display. In the style of display that I have studied, called Gaddou 雅道, which would be defined as "the way of elegance."
The first step they do is define the tree first by Species and then by the styling. Because the bonsai is the focal point of the display. For example...

Evergreen trees are classified as Formal.
Deciduous, flowering and fruiting as Semi-formal
Grass plantings called Sanyasou as Informal.

Styling classification for various bonsai styles is listed below:
真 Shin (Formal):
直幹 Chokkan, 模様木 Moyougi, 蟠幹 Bankan, 箒立 Houkidachi,

行 Gyou (Semi-Formal):
斜幹 Shakan, 双幹 Soukan, 薄模様 Usumoyou, 立木 Tachigi

草 Sou (Informal):
文人木 Bunjinki, 寄せ根 Yosene, 株立 Kabudachi, 懸崖 Kengai, 半懸崖 Hankengai, 吹流し Fukinagashi

For example, let's say there is a white pine with a split trunk styling. (soukan), the display would be defined as Shin no Gyou, because it is an evergreen with a semi-formal styling.

How would you define the classification of a Japanese maple that is in the Fukinagashi styling? Give it a try...

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
errm..
Well logically following your example....Because I have no idea as to the meaning of those words at this point.

Gyou Fukinagashi??? Semi-Formal by deciduous classification but it is in an informal styling

To be honest you are WAY over my head with this so please do not be offended by my ignorance.
I suspect I am not alone in that sentiment thus the lack of response.
Just goes to show there is SO much to learn in the realm of bonsai even beyond the care and development of the trees themselves.

kakejiku

Chumono
Reaction score
errm..
Well logically following your example....Because I have no idea as to the meaning of those words at this point.

Gyou Fukinagashi??? Semi-Formal by deciduous classification but it is in an informal styling

To be honest you are WAY over my head with this so please do not be offended by my ignorance.
I suspect I am not alone in that sentiment thus the lack of response.
Just goes to show there is SO much to learn in the realm of bonsai even beyond the care and development of the trees themselves.

Why would I be offended...I have always viewed this forum as a chance to learn new things.
I was not clear. So look back at the other scroll styles. There is Shin no Shin, Shin no Gyou, Shin no Sou etc.

So maybe my explanation was not clear. You use the species of the tree as the first characteristic to define the formality,
and then you use the styling as the second characteristic to define formality.

So you are correct, that the Deciduous defines it as semi-formal (Gyou) but the styling Fukinagashi (is windswept in English) and
that styling is informal.
So you would define this bonsai's formality as Gyou no Sou.
Here is a visual.
upload_2016-7-4_17-41-26.png

White pine in a Sankan (or three trunk) styling. I will give a hint, this is an informal styling. So how would your classify this bonsai' formality.

Start with (Species) No (Styling).
Try it again. With practice it will become second nature.

Top Bottom