Defining Scroll Styles (The Most Formal Style)

kakejiku

Chumono
Reaction score
Studying many different Japanese art mediums has led me to understand the importance of formality of different objects in a display. The scroll is no different. And although this is a simple explanation of the different formats of scrolls, it should give you an idea when going about selecting one for a display. Even the primary book I have for bonsai display in Japanese gets some of these points incorrect. If we keep it simple, it will be easy to understand.

The system for defining the characteristics is called, Shin/Gyou/Sou. Shin 真 is formal. Gyou 行 is semi-formal. Sou 草 is informal. There is a primary classification based on the structure, and then the use or omission of certain accents further classify the scrolls. All the scrolls below are samples of Shin (Pronounced like the sheen of a paint). The most formal or Shin no Shin has artwork surrounded by Ichimonji (cloth represented in Gold), a Paper or cloth called Daihari (Light Blue), Chuumawashi (cloth represented by Orange), and Fuutai (blue strips at the top) . The artwork also is often surrounded by suji (a thin cloth about 1/4" in width.

upload_2016-6-25_22-42-18.png

This style of scroll is usually not appropriate for bonsai display because of the following:
1. It is visually too strong. All the elements are designed to put focus on the artwork. (Well technically all scrolls or frames are designed to do this, but this magnifies this problem by a factor of 10) If you did put a bonsai with it, then you would have to be resigned to the fact that your bonsai would play second fiddle in the display.
2. Another name for this scroll style is Butsu 仏 Hyougu. Butsu is the character for the Buddha, and this scroll style is typically reserved for use with Buddhist religion based themes. I do not know if the sentiment for this is because some may feel it is sacriligious (but I doubt it), or that it is hard to find a lot of simple harmony in the paintings to pair with a bonsai properly.

Tomorrow we can talk about Gyou style scrolls if you are interested.

Attachments

• upload_2016-6-25_22-41-38.png
    upload_2016-6-25_22-41-38.png
    4.3 KB · Views: 1
Top Bottom