Resource icon

Defining the Display Space

kakejiku

Chumono
Reaction score
kakejiku submitted a new resource:

Defining the Display Space - What Kind of Display Am I Creating?

Another important aspect of display is a very small thing, but it is critically important to understand. It is the type of display you are setting up. In my opinion, there are three basic installation categories for bonsai display.
1. Toko no Ma Kazari 床の間飾り (Alcove Display)
2. Seki Kazari 席飾り(Seated Display)
3. Tana Kazari 棚飾り(Shelf Display)

The shelf display allows one to display many shohin/mame size bonsai simultaneously.
A seki (or seated) display allows the leeway for the most...

Read more about this resource...

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I appreciate this taxonomic way of describing the variations.

I think it could be helpful to breakdown the Japanese terms further. For example, Google translate tells me that kazari means décoration. I think having a definition of the term will improve my retention. Perhaps it is pedagogically superior for me to look up the definitions myself. Perhaps I should go hunting for some words rather than being spoon fed everything.

kakejiku

Chumono
Reaction score
I appreciate this taxonomic way of describing the variations.

I think it could be helpful to breakdown the Japanese terms further. For example, Google translate tells me that kazari means décoration. I think having a definition of the term will improve my retention. Perhaps it is pedagogically superior for me to look up the definitions myself. Perhaps I should go hunting for some words rather than being spoon fed everything.
Google translate is correct. In Japanese 飾る kazaru is the verb to decorate and kazari the noun version is decoration. The problem is, in English, we do not typically use the word decoration when describing a set up of objects for a formal art show. We would typically use the word display....Furthermore, in Europe they are also as likely to use the word "installation" rather than display. So just because they use the word that would translate directly into decorate, does not mean that is the best translation for the word.

Seki Kazari - Seated Decoration
Toko no Ma Kazari - Alcove Decoration

Is that easier to understand than saying display or installation, for that matter?

Regardless, if you have any questions about terms that you do not understand, please ask, and I will try to answer to the best of my ability.

Top Bottom