Defoliate Quince cuttings?

BuckeyeOne

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I received a "Iwai Nishiki" Quince a few days ago.
It was a gangly mess, so I took 4 6-7 inch cuttings for rooting. They went in a 6" pot with mostly fine pumice and some pine bark fines.
I covered with a plastic bag and am misting several times a day.
Should I partially defoliate to minimize the foliar load?

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
On a 6 inch quince I personally would reduce the leaves to about half a dozen. Of course it is impossible to say for certain because the cuttings are not in front of me.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Myself I leave only a leaf or two on cuttings. Or I cut larger leaves leave only a third of each leaf to support the cutting. On a 6 inch cutting I might leave 3 or 4 partial leaves. But I do not do a lot of cuttings. I last stuck flowering quince cuttings 3 years ago. Only have 2 survivors out of maybe 6 cuttings.

I did not put them in plastic, I did not use hormones, I simply stuck them in a flat, in 3/4 sun, the flat was filled with a peat based media intended for blueberries. They shared the flat with the blueberry cuttings.

BuckeyeOne

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Myself I leave only a leaf or two on cuttings. Or I cut larger leaves leave only a third of each leaf to support the cutting. On a 6 inch cutting I might leave 3 or 4 partial leaves. But I do not do a lot of cuttings. I last stuck flowering quince cuttings 3 years ago. Only have 2 survivors out of maybe 6 cuttings.

I did not put them in plastic, I did not use hormones, I simply stuck them in a flat, in 3/4 sun, the flat was filled with a peat based media intended for blueberries. They shared the flat with the blueberry cuttings.
Thanks!

I'm going to try it a couple ways. Reduce to a couple on the smaller ones and cut the leaves on the larger ones.
I stripped the last 1/2 of the cutting and dipped in rooting hormone.
I'm thinking of placing them on a heat mat in the basement with my seed starting trays for now.
We're expecting 2-3" of snow tomorrow night into Wednesday! Let the shuffle begin!!!

Top Bottom