Defoliated Maple

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Seems awfully severe to defoliate twice in a season. I prefer to keep my trees strong. I stopped fully defoliating my JM a few years ago, and will do a 50% defoliation; removing one of each pair of leaves. This is to allow more sunlight into the tree, and doesn't do anything for twigginess. To develop short internodes, which leads to twigginess, I simply pluck out the growing tip in the spring when the first pair of leaves is distinguishable. This halts the lengthening of the internodes.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Well, over the years, I've gotten more twigginess, smaller leaves that last much longer into the fall, and very nice fall color. Only defoliated once this year, though; I'm reducing my collection by 90% now because I'm too ill to care for them, and have no idea how they're faring since I haven't been able to visit my trees for some time.
Im very sad to hear you are ill.

Where have you been selling your collection?

CWTurner

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Lancemac,

That's a serious hunk of stone there in the background. And it looks like you have some nice slabs too. Of course your up there in the land of granite, so maybe its no big deal?
CW

Txhorticulture

Chumono
Reaction score
I'm too ill to care for them, and have no idea how they're faring since I haven't been able to visit my trees for some time.

Sorry. Feel better. Hope you recover fully.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Thanks, all. What I have is slowly terminal, so it is unlikely I'll get any "weller" than I am now.

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Thanks, all. What I have is slowly terminal, so it is unlikely I'll get any "weller" than I am now.

JKL, I am sorry to hear that. I have always enjoyed your contribution. Glad that you were around to contribute what you did.

augustine

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I attended several workshops with a bonsai professional that apprenticed in Japan. He told me exactly what Brian Van Fleet advises, partial defoliation, removing one leaf from the pair. He also said that his nursery in Japan used the same technique.

However, I certainly will not criticize the full defoliation advocates, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Best to all,

Augustine

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
JKL, I am sorry to hear that. I have always enjoyed your contribution. Glad that you were around to contribute what you did.

There are a lot of posts by Jim over on IBC. He's a high hatter over there.
It was also his and Bill Valvanis birthday the other day.
Happy belated birthday Jim and Bill!

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I got a tad nostalgic and a bit verklempt when I saw Jim Lewis' name pop up in this thread.:(

Cut back but left some alone as the lower trees are a bit weak. I need to grow them out a bit to get some vigor. Repot shortly into something a bit larger for the same.
DSC01601.JPG DSC01602.JPG DSC01606.JPG

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Still alive....it's decided to keep growing into the fall for some reason......

DSC02253.JPG

DSC02254.JPG

Festus showed his hindquarters in disapproval and went home.....:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
DSC02250.JPG

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You work in the construction business or something, and just "happen" to have a lot of marble slabs sitting around? :)

Meant for the National cemetery in Virginia, they were rejected because some of the veins of darker marble were too dark. My neighbor, (a container-grower as well) managed to swing a deal for them. He used to work on a helical drilling crew before he had his leg and ankle broken in a nasty on-site accident. Just does fabrication and the like in the shop now. Also have STACKS of granite counter top cut-outs too.....

Reverse engineering how to make some interesting stands or something out of 'em.....

I just celebrated 25 years in the non-ferrous sand-cast industry!!! Yes, there are still foundries out there!!!:eek::D:D:D:D:D:D

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I just celebrated 25 years in the non-ferrous sand-cast industry!!! Yes, there are still foundries out there!!!:eek::D:D:D:D:D:D
Brass belt buckles!!! I've a friend that used to one one here in town. Now makes sculpture with dross and slag splatters. Is this in your future? :eek::D

Top Bottom