Defoliating Question

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Don't, Learn how trees grow (no offense, this is actually a thing) then Defoliate appropriately.

To Earn some Thread Graft Points, and make something of a redundant thread.....

I was talking about how every food gardener should know how to bonsai and every bonsai artist should tend a food garden...https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/biochar-for-real.55047/

And @Vik250 has me associating veg knowledge with tree knowledge too...(most important there being ANY INDOOR PLANT ACTIVITIES IS SOLD TO US BY "BIG AG" SO WE HAVE SOMETHING TO DO AS A HOBBY AND FAIL SO THEY CAN SELL US 2 THINGS.

anyway....

I kept running across this bright green in the garden beds, thinking something was growing I'd dig it exposed and it'd be a brussel sprout leaf.

They just don't want to die.

So I figured WTF...and rooted one.
20220426_070932.jpg

But then I figured WTfurtherF and thought, if I could get 3 or 4 sprouts to grow, I can probably double the possible harvest....

Perhaps second year bolting may become an issue?

Cheers.

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Defoiloating Brussel Sprouts from the ground up helps with airflow to keep problems down and help the sproutbuds grow.

Though I don't think the act of removal itself has anything to do with activating that bud, just like a tree.

It senses more available space for solar panel alignment, but if it realizes more energy from the new light on lower leaves, why would it work to shade it?

Lot more to consider.

Sorce

Taste

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Defoiloating Brussel Sprouts from the ground up helps with airflow to keep problems down and help the sproutbuds grow.

Though I don't think the act of removal itself has anything to do with activating that bud, just like a tree.

It senses more available space for solar panel alignment, but if it realizes more energy from the new light on lower leaves, why would it work to shade it?

Lot more to consider.

Sorce
Me and a couple other cooks back in the day used to flail Brussels vines at each other during prep like they were pool noodles.

Top Bottom