Defoliating Trident

digger714

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Hello everyone. I have a trident forest i put together last fall, and am letting it grow out to recover. The forest was made from 7 trees. The largest trunk is 2.5", second is almost 2", third is 1 1/4", one is 1" and 3 are between 1/2" and 3/4". There are so many leaves that its really hard to see whats going on with branches. Since it was just put together last fall, is it a good idea to take the leaves off, and look at some branching, or just wait until this winter before spring to do anything? Any other suggestions would be great.

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Not so sure about total defoliation, but some pruning to thin out branching should be alright.

Brian Underwood

Chumono
Reaction score
Most people will say no, but so far I have had no ill effects with defoliation even after repotting the same year. If they are all growing very strong, and the trunks are developed to where you want them, go for it!

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Hey Brian, I think we have been on oposite sides of this one before, I think it was you we were talking about at the time.

I think we came to the conclusion(at least in my mind) that together with a tree that is quite vigorous, and proper after care it's doable, big question is the one doing the deed able to provide the proper setting for after care. Any special things you do to help them along, I'm trying to learn as well.

Top Bottom