deformed leaves

tanlu

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hi everyone,

My red Japanese maple had normal leaves earlier in the spring, but the new growth always turns out to be malformed. The leaves stay wrinkled and some only have 3 lobes rather than the usual 5. Even their shape this year is completely different from last year. Could this be some fungus or over fertilizing?

T

bonsaiTOM

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hmmm. I've got the same thing going on. Don't remember it from other years, but for the past 2-3 weeks the new shoots have produced deformed leaves. :confused:

Hope to find some ideas/causes. Perplexing & worrisome!

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Did you repot this spring and work the roots pretty hard? Is it getting too dry between watering?

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Palmatums can have large variations of "normal" leaf size and shape, depending on the cultivar, as well as age, sun exposure, watering/fert regimen, etc. Pics are always helpful in trying to tell if something is "normal" or not.

Sapling
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

My red Japanese maple had normal leaves earlier in the spring, but the new growth always turns out to be malformed. The leaves stay wrinkled and some only have 3 lobes rather than the usual 5. Even their shape this year is completely different from last year. Could this be some fungus or over fertilizing?

T

I used to have similar issues with several species of maple (mostly on tridents though). It was never over watered or over fed. I never figured out what it was . . . I suspected a fungal/pest problem and treated with Neem oil, but it never seem to make a difference. The tree did okay, but failed to thrive. I ended up parting ways with the tree . . . .

bretts

Shohin
Reaction score
Sounds familiar to a fungus problem we got down Australia recently but need some pictures for a better idea.
It seems to be happening in other countries as well but people have trouble believing it is fungus as it only shows as damaged leaves. A pathology test showed it was a fungus though.
Bravo worked real well on the trident maples but it is very toxic. Copper is less toxic and worth a try it worked better for the carpinus but not as effective on the tridents.
Spray frequently for best results.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I my self am having the same issue and a few nurseries around me as well. Might be climate related instead of a fungal/pest issue .This year we had no spring to speak of then tons of rain then dry and hot.

digger714

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Hi Seth. Hope your doing good. All my maples did the same thing. I only have three tridents in pots. The rest are in the ground. I have about 50 tridents, and 20 japanese maples of 7 or 8 different cultivars in the ground, and they all did the same thing here in NC. I thought i might not have got them wet enough before fertilizing, but couldnt have dont all of them. I water first, then put fert on. The tips burned first, then they produced deformed looking leaves, but now are starting to push regular leaves again. Im taking a shoot to my club meeting tomorrow to get some advice. If anyone has anything, ill let ya know.

Last edited:
Top Bottom