Deformed trident leaves

eeeealmo

Mame
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I have a small trident grove that has started pushing out leaves, and I'm noticing that some of the leaves and buds are deformed, curling, or blackened before fully opening. The deformed leaves are occuring on trees that have normal, healthy growth elsewhere on other branches. I repotted this spring, and am wondering if this is the result of being too aggressive with root pruning, or if there is something else going on? Any input would be great!

tridentfull.jpgtrident3.jpgtrident2.jpgtrident1.jpg

John P.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Fungus, I think. I’ve been there before. Time to look up the fungus threads here. A start:

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
It is nothing to do with the root pruning.
It is probably some sort of infection or pest and only seems to affect the trees right at the start of spring. I've seen a number of different theories from tiny sucking mites through to bacterial and fungal infection. I've also seen many different treatments used but I believe that most 'cures' are actually the natural cycle of the later leaves being unaffected.
I have this occasionally on my tridents but they recover without any treatment. Some years it is worse than others.
Although many treatments are probably not effective they don't hurt so feel free to follow whichever cure you think sound good if it will make you feel better.

eeeealmo

Mame
Reaction score
Fungus, I think. I’ve been there before. Time to look up the fungus threads here. A start:

Thanks a ton for the quick reply. I will get on that right away!

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
do you have any recommendations? there are an overwhelming number of results on amazon
I have been using the preventative dormant routine for years and have not had to treat during the growing season. So I don't have a personal recommendation, but others on here seem to recommend Bayer 3 in 1.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
This always happens with every trident and J maple I've ever had....I'm done.
I dont like systemics.....personally.

I like to have trees that aren't 100% going to get sick in my microclimate....or whatever.

Trial and error....

eeeealmo

Mame
Reaction score
This always happens with every trident and J maple I've ever had....I'm done.
I dont like systemics.....personally.

I like to have trees that aren't 100% going to get sick in my microclimate....or whatever.

Trial and error....
What are your issues with systemics if you don't mind me asking

John P.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Imidacloprid is used in many systemics for insects, and it’s thought to be behind the decline in honeybees and other animals. Systemic antifungals used without switching them up with other antifumgals tends to reduce their effectiveness. Sort of similar to the overuse of antibiotics in humans.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Looks to me to be typical of weather conditions, especially if concentrated on outer, less protected areas. Have the nights been extra cool?

John P.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Not systemic, but daconil is good.

I bought the ready-to-spray version for this season. Do you find that it shoots out the product in globs? I bought another sprayer, and diluted it, but it’s still “gloppy.” Copper doesn’t seem to do that for me.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Cut of the damaged leaves. Done.

I would go for environmental too. Dry wind on recently opened buds, a cold snap etc,

Reaction score
I have exactly the same every year. I tried dormant spraying with lime sulphur and a myriad of commercially available fungicides that are available here. It could be the products that I have access to are not as effective as the others mentioned here, but I have had no result and I still get it.

What I have noticed is that it will quickly stop affecting leaves as soon as temperatures rise a little bit. So I just remove affected leaves.
I also noticed, although this is highly anecdotal, that the trident I have in potting soil suffers a lot less than the one in APL substrate... Go figure!

Top Bottom