Delete Account

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Greg, I've always disregarded the SD's warnings unless it is a war zone. I have never had a bad experience in Mexico; the only place I have been mugged is here in the US. Same goes for family and friends. My wife lived in Mx for a year, many of my friends and family vacation there regularly. if you do foolish things, of course, bad things will happen to you. But like any other destination, if you apply some common sense caution, you are for the most part fine.

Everyone has their own experiences. I lived in downtown Chicago for eight years. I never once felt as frightened as I have on several different occasions in Mexico. I have been there often enough to have lost count of my visits... but they have just gotten progressively worse over the years. One time I was out at night in a tourist area with my wife and kids. We were waiting to cross a street at a crosswalk. A car approached the intersection, and tried to do a quick illegal u-turn in the street. It ended up hitting another car - not badly, but bad enough to put a big dent in the side. The drivers of both cars jumped out and started yelling at each other. Then, several guys ran out in the street from some of the nearby street bars. Fists started flying. Then all of these other miscellaneous people also ran out in the street and laid down by the cars - rolling back and forth and acting like they were hit by one of the cars. Soon it was just chaos - like a scene out of some bizarre reality show - with people fighting, rolling around on the ground, milling around in the street...

I started my family walking quickly back in the other direction (AWAY from our hotel) as we hear sirens. Several Police cars show up and numerous cops jump out... and they start flailing around with billy clubs - hitting anyone in the street. People start to run. I'm now about a half block away and I pick up my daughter and start running with my wife and son.

THAT'S the last time I went to Mexico. Next day, nothing mentioned in any of the local papers. Just another day south of the border...

I have also been to Hawaii over ten times. There is NO comparison.

Last edited:

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I hurt my elbow really bad in that melee. I was there rolling on the ground next to a car and this cop ran up and literally kicked me hard enough to scoot me across the ground into the tire of one of the cars hurting my elbow. I had no idea where to send the medical bill to. Thanks for that Greg.

Arcto

Chumono
Reaction score
I hurt my elbow really bad in that melee. I was there rolling on the ground next to a car and this cop ran up and literally kicked me hard enough to scoot me across the ground into the tire of one of the cars hurting my elbow. I had no idea where to send the medical bill to. Thanks for that Greg.

It might have been difficult to hit someone rolling on the ground accurately with a billy club. Maybe a simple kick had to do. 😛

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It might have been difficult to hit someone rolling on the ground accurately with a billy club. Maybe a simple kick had to do. 😛
I highly doubt accuracy had anything to do with it. In those types of cases it's quantity over quality.

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Everyone has their own experiences. I lived in downtown Chicago for eight years. I never once felt as frightened as I have on several different occasions in Mexico. I have been there often enough to have lost count of my visits... but they have just gotten progressively worse over the years. One time I was out at night in a tourist area with my wife and kids. We were waiting to cross a street at a crosswalk. A car approached the intersection, and tried to do a quick illegal u-turn in the street. It ended up hitting another car - not badly, but bad enough to put a big dent in the side. The drivers of both cars jumped out and started yelling at each other. Then, several guys ran out in the street from some of the nearby street bars. Fists started flying. Then all of these other miscellaneous people also ran out in the street and laid down by the cars - rolling back and forth and acting like they were hit by one of the cars. Soon it was just chaos - like a scene out of some bizarre reality show - with people fighting, rolling around on the ground, milling around in the street...

I started my family walking quickly back in the other direction (AWAY from our hotel) as we hear sirens. Several Police cars show up and numerous cops jump out... and they start flailing around with billy clubs - hitting anyone in the street. People start to run. I'm now about a half block away and I pick up my daughter and start running with my wife and son.

THAT'S the last time I went to Mexico. Next day, nothing mentioned in any of the local papers. Just another day south of the border...

I have also been to Hawaii over ten times. There is NO comparison.
sorry to hear about your experience. But police brutality is an issue in this country too, if you are not white

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
What people don’t realize is that a wall to keep people out is also a wall to keep people in. I am much more concerned about being kept in with what is happening in the world today.
No need to reply to this particular statement. It’s just my opinion and not trying to start a war here.
You're welcome here, man! Don't worry ;-)

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Please close this thread before I go off the deep end on some of these remarks. Including the following: It's not a country to be proud of really. I mean, we bought New York for a bag of Dutch herbs and spices and put a wall around it (now Wall street). Now someone is copying our ideas at the Mexican border. It's better not to be associated with that. I thought this stuff was disallowed? And the following, Geeze; What people don’t realize is that a wall to keep people out is also a wall to keep people in. I am much more concerned about being kept in with what is happening in the world today.
No need to reply to this particular statement. It’s just my opinion and not trying to start a war here.
Come on; you take a dump on someone's front lawn and expect people to not be offended? It seems that some of you anticipate the rest of us to roll over and take anything you say? The odd thing is if I started by putting remarks up in favor of the wall I would be called down for it, as soon as it is posted, or other positions that are critical of the left. Then it would be my fault for making a big deal out of it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom