Delonix Regia not growing

Pixar

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I have a Delonix Regia which I have trimmed the tap root , but the plant has not grown ( I have done others at the same time and all have successfully grown )
Any ideas on how to get the plant to start growing ( it just a trunk - not leaves )
or have I killed it

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Pics are recommended Pixar!

Sorce

Juanma

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
13a
When did you made the root pruning? How old is the tree?
Even in tropical regions (at least, here in PR) they're "dormant" and usually they begin to sprout in late February early May. As long as the bark is not shriveled and the cambium layer is green/alive you should not beconcerned; give it time and, enjoy its development as they're gorgeous trees!

Pixar

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I just cut about an inch of the top ( hoping it will burst into life )

Attachments

• IMG_1759~photo.jpg
    IMG_1759~photo.jpg
    249.6 KB · Views: 28

SWfloirda

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
All you can do is wait. If it comes to life good, if not bad. If your others are already growing after the same treatment I wouldn't keep your hopes too high.

Pixar

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Picture of it's next door neighbour ( had a trim yesterday )

Attachments

• IMG_1758-2~photo.jpg
    IMG_1758-2~photo.jpg
    410.6 KB · Views: 21

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I just cut about an inch of the top ( hoping it will burst into life )
I do not understan this picture. You say you cut the taproot, yet you show pictures of a stump with no leaves?

Clipping the taproots means getting the plant out of the ground, and trimming the mainroot below-ground at a point where the above-ground part keeps a few feeders in place.

Pixar

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
That's exactly what I did .
Plant was removed from old pot and the tap root was trimmed and then planted in a colander with new soil . The upper trunk was trimmed and has never re-grown , hence I have re-trimmed and hoping something will happen ( burst into life )
I may have been a bit too hard on the tap root as I have have four other's that have all successfully re-spouted etc....
The old plant was strong and healthy and only had a couple of small leaves when re-planted ( but they dead off when I cut the tap root )

Pixar

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Just dug up this Delonix Regia plant and re-checked the taproot . All the fine hairs have dried up but the taproot seems to be OK ( I've trimmed a small bit off it and it's greenish inside . I've re-planted the plant higher ( the existing soil is still OK )
Some of the lower bark has peeled off ,so not sure if it is still OK

Arnold

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
Just dug up this Delonix Regia plant and re-checked the taproot . All the fine hairs have dried up but the taproot seems to be OK ( I've trimmed a small bit off it and it's greenish inside . I've re-planted the plant higher ( the existing soil is still OK )
Some of the lower bark has peeled off ,so not sure if it is still OK
I recomend you to dont do that specially to a weak recovering tree, cutting the tap-root its a very traumatic procedure for the tree, dug up the tree only stress it more and lessens the chances to live

Top Bottom